Thursday 20 November 2014

Viaduct Thursday Cost Cutter Match.

After managing to arrange a day off work this week along with traveling partner Don we decided to take a trip to viaduct for the cost cutter match, With the entry pools only £12 including peg fee it wasn't a case of fishing for the money today more of using it as a practice to try a few different things as well as having a go at the lakes carp should I be lucky enough to draw near them? lol, The added bonus was there were places up for grabs in next Autumn's Carp & Silvers Big Money Finals for the winner of each today.

I was still assembling the kit on the trolley when I realised the draw was taking place and by the time I got there only two tickets were left in the tin, As I pulled one out fishery manager Paul said was I sure I wanted it' or chance the other? I stuck with it and I found myself on peg 129 Cambell which happens to be an area I cant get away from at the moment on this lake just below the spit, I don't know what the other side looks like! Owe and the other peg happened to be 110 which is the opposite side of the lake - end peg" Bummer..!

We all had plenty of room though as the match was split over Cambell & Cary Lakes so had a choice to target Carp to start with but wanted to have a couple of silvers lines if I felt need to use them. The light was a bit awkward as I set up and I would struggle to see a waggler in the shadows so set a bomb rod up to fish hair rigged punched meat towards the middle of the lake on a 12inch 0.15 hook-length and a size 16 hook, A 4x12 Chanti on 0.15-0.13 and an 18 PR478 hook to fish in just over 3ft of water at 8mts where I also planned to fish meat over loose fed meat by hand. Finally 2 pole rigs, 4x12 & 4x14 on 0.13-0.09 one with an 18 63-13 and the heavier rig with an 18PR 434. Both my pole lines were at 15mts at 10-2 o'clock and although the depth was the same it was easier for me to see the float properly and far enough to target the bigger skimmers & Tench rather than catching smaller roach.

At the all-in I cupped two balls in off to my left with caster & some worm added & 4 balls with caster and red maggot on the right had pole line. Starting on the bomb & meat it soon became clear I couldn't cast towards the spit because of the over hanging tree which was a bit frustrating as it seemed to be teaming with carp from the minute we got to are pegs! 
 Yep' Their going Left!
Though I must add Steve & Paul are doing a great job of chopping some of the trees right back and I'm sure they will get around to it soon, I was chucking around the peg from in-front of me and off to my right towards the aerator but it was an hour before I had my first carp of 4lb out of the blue followed by a 2lb tench then nothing despite trying all around and firing a few 6mm cubes out with the catty. After 2hours I couldn't bare staring at the motionless tip any longer and by now the guys opposite had already had a few fish as well as Chris Rolf on end peg 131 below me. I couldn't see how I was going to catch up doing what I was so decided to switch my attention to the long pole lines in the hope of some silvers.

Starting on the left hand swim with double caster on the hook I gave it 10mins before switching to the lighter rig with single red maggot on the hook. I had a couple of 6oz skimmers before a few small roach followed so I topped it up with another ball and tried the right hand line but the same happened and nothing of any size was added, I felt there would be bigger fish in the area so took a more positive line with the right hand swim and fed a large cup of dry ground-bait and casters and left it to settle for as long as I could. A try back on the bomb in the hope of another tench saw me have another carp of 6lb' Followed by a small skimmer so 30mins later I tried the left hand pole swim again with double caster to start with, A nice 3lb tench first put in followed by a 2lb skimmer 10mins later before I bumped another soon after had me cursing so rather be keen to re-feed I tried the right hand swim but only added some more small roach so again I was trying the bomb taking another carp first cast then nothing again" with 90mins to go I had to concentrate on the long pole lines catching what I could before re-feeding small amounts and managed to add another tench and some good skimmers including one of 3lb 3mins from the all out" I new from those opposite me hadn't targeted the silvers but didn't know what was caught above the spit or over on cambell although Ian Dunlop the other side of the spit had targeted silvers from the off so would be interesting to see. I estimated to have around 16lb and when the scales arrived I was pleased to end up with 18lb odd, Ian went on to weigh 14lb odd and the top weight Cary was Donald on peg 86 with 13lb odd of blades' meaning not only had I picked up £20 for first in the silvers I qualify for next years silvers final which I will really look forward to (Watch out Andy Power"!) lol. Joking aside I have enjoyed fishing the popular silvers league here at the moment and my target was to try and Qualify for next years match although I didn't expect to do it so soon" Result! All I have to do now is win a match outright to get in the all winners final'?? (that might be easier said then done!) but Ile try".

First on the day went to Ray Bass on peg 125 Cambell (That's Somewhere above the spit?) with 92lb catching mainly on the bomb and bread so well done to him for making the All-Winners I tried to get his photo but he had disappeared so sorry mate. (Managed to get his stunning pic at next match")
 (Winner Ray Bass looking content???)
 
 Emerald to look forward to on Saturday but the weather doesn't look promising but fingers crossed then back at viaduct for the Sunday practice match for the final round of the silvers league though being an open Ile be hoping for a Carpy peg".

Full Result -

1st Ray Bass ( Cheddar Angling Club) Peg 125 Cambell, 92lb 2oz.

2nd Ian (PIGGY) Parsons (Sensas M5 Angling) peg 85 Cary 81lb 3oz.

3rd Chris Rolf (Viaduct) peg 131 Cambell, 79lb 11oz.

Silvers -

Dom Sullivan (Maver/Cabury Angling) Peg 129 Cambell, 18lb 3oz. 


           

                     

No comments:

Post a Comment