Thursday 22 March 2018

Viaduct Fishery (Thursday Costcutter) Cambell & Cary Lakes.

Off work for a couple of days whilst my trailer goes for its annual MOT so decided to make the most of today with a trip back to Viaduct, It was supposed to be a touch milder today but didn't feel like it when I first arrived, Not a bad turn out with 26 fishing today, I fancied a crack at Cary lake for some silvers although if I drew the same area I did the weekend I would target carp again, Into the draw around halfway through the queue & ended up on Cambell again only this time I would be at the top end above the spit on the far side peg 125... Not what I hoped for as its been a hard area for some time & the guys who drew here on the weekend packed up & went home" I ruled out having any chance of framing on carp but would have a look to start with with a couple of silvers lines to fall back on. I assembled the normal bomb rod for pellet, Set up a waggler to fish at depth with corn towards the middle off to my left, & just one pole rig being a 0.4g PB2 on 0.13-0.10 & an 16 F1 pellet hook, I brought a few maggots to mainly use as hookers as I planned to fish pellet on the pole so plumbed up two lines at 13mts left & right with the left hand side being around 6inches shallower. For company I had Phil Hardwick again to my left on end peg 123 who didn't fancy his chances much but both him & tony On my right next door set there stool out for carp.

I began the day feeding three balls of G/Bait & hard 4mms at 13mts to my right & just a few 4mms & a helping of damped micros to my left, I began the day on the bomb & hard pellet in the hope I would be wrong but 40mins later I hadn't had so much as a liner, I had began pinging a few bits of corn just short of the middle to my left so switched to fishing the waggler with corn on the hook here. I gave it twenty minutes but still nothing. None of us three had caught a fish nor had pegs 119 & 118 but pegs 114 & 115 were already catching the odd carp as well as a couple of pegs below them. Just over an hour in & time to try the pole with soft pellet on the hook, Thankfully it went under & I netted a 6oz skimmer, I netted a couple more before things died so topped it up with another small ball of G/Bait & switched to the micro line in the slightly shallower water, I expected to get bites here but nothing, Back on the G/Bait line again I had a couple of quick fish then nothing. I tried the wagg again where I had continued to ping some corn & did miss a bite after a few minutes but it was a false dawn as I couldn't get another indication, Phil had finally netted one carp but that was it & Tony had also netted one, Back on the pole I had a couple more skimmers to 10oz after feeding a few hard 4mms over the top, I tried banded hard pellet over the top but couldn't get signs on it, It wasn't a prolific day but I did add the odd smaller skimmer, It wasn't until the last 45mins I finally started to get signs over the micro fed line which proved worth while as I added two skimmers around 2lb & one around a 1lb along with a few more smaller samples, Phil had called it a day with over an hour to go with just the one carp, The pegs opposite were still blanking' Tony had netted the odd carp through the day but couldn't compete with pegs 114-115 who were catching through-out the day, Come the end I thought I may have around 14lb of silvers but expected some better silvers weights to come off Cary? Tony finished the day with 54lb of carp before my silvers went 16lb 10oz come the end, back at the results & as we expected the pegs opposite proved best again, Mark Poppleton has kept his draw hand going from the winter league after finishing the day with 145lb odd from peg 114 ahead of Callum Craig from peg 110 with 134lb odd, As far as the silvers went Nigel Easton won again from peg 94 on Cary with 31lb odd of skimmers on corn, It turned out my weight was top silvers on Cambell but more importantly snuck me into fourth place between a couple of 20lb weights of silvers on Cary meaning I picked up a tenner" Lol, I don't fish these matches for the money just the chance of qualifying for the finals later in the year. Not a bad day come the end, Wasted a bit to much time trying to get the wagg to work but don't think I could of done much more than around 20lb if I had stayed on the pole. Off to Summerhayes silvers match tomorrow as its the silvers final next Friday so try to get an idea what to expect?

Full Results -

1st Mark Poppleton (Colmic S.W) peg 114 Cambell, 145lb 2oz.

2nd Callum Craig (Colmic S.W) peg 110 Cambell, 134lb 11oz.

3rd Martin Lenahan (Avon Angling) peg 115 Cambell, 132lb 7oz.

4th Glen Bailey (Bristol) peg 112 Cambell, 76lb.

5th Steve Jackson (Garbolino) peg 80 Cary, 67lb 4oz.

6th Colin Dyer (Langport) peg 78, 58lb 6oz.

Silvers -

1st Nigel Easton (Langport) peg 94 Cary, 31lb 11oz.

2nd Steve Jackson (Garbolino) peg 80, 24lb 3oz.      

No comments:

Post a Comment