Wednesday 4 July 2018

Colmic V Shipate Farm (Shiplate Main Lake).

I was asked by owner Steve to represent the home side for this fun event between fourteen of us, It was another warm day with temperatures expect to rise to 29", Their was a nice breeze blowing down the lake for a change when we arrived so was really hoping to draw in it for a change as I know it can make a difference on this lake except for stating the obvious pegs 1 & 15 that is, Although each side could only end up with one of these so that lessened my hopes even more" Lol, Are team consisted of Groundbait Guru Tom Thick, (More on him Later") His Dad as a last minute stand-in which was grateful, Star man Gary O'Shea, Venue Regulars Titch Williams & Gary Finders, Viaducts Dave White, good Mate Young Lewis Jones & Myself, The format was we would all be next to one of the other team spread around the lake & the idea was you beat your man & those who came out on top would win the day'

Titch did draw for the A or B pegs then we drew for are own numbers, I was gutted to be honest as I drew peg three at the end of the island which can be good, Even Mr Rixon will tell you that' The problem was the wind was howling at him that day which the fish loved but today with the wind blowing down from the north east it was flat calm & hot" & we didn't start until noon! Just to make it worse Mark Poppleton was on peg 2 but had some breeze in his edge going back towards peg 1 & I fancied him to catch there later in the day, He would be my guy to beat as pegs 1 & 15 were put together but knew it would be hard too today. Quite a simple set up, A bomb rod, Small method feeder rod, Pellet waggler,  Yet again it looked like I would have arms like Popeye by the end of the day as I found myself setting up 17mts of pole to fish to the island, Getting to old for this distance" Lol, two rigs, One to fish tight to the bank, 0.2g, 0.17-0.15, 16 hook & a smaller dibber styled swinging rig which I could fish in the slightly deeper water off the island if need be on the same line. Owe & a rig to fish just off the rocks in the slightly deeper water to my left down the edge at 12mts.

I decided on the all-in I would feed a decent amount of corn & pellets down the edge straight away, It was flat calm here so didn't expect many fish to be there so hoped to draw a few fish in by feeding odd bits by hand over the top through the day, I went straight across to the island in the shallow water with banded 8mm pellet feeding a few hard 6mms with the catty, I spooked a carp after 10mins but no more signs, Except for two small roach which went flying" I had began pinging a few hard 8mm's off the end of the island & after another 10mins switched to fishing the conker" (Paste wrapped around banded 8mm) on the bomb rod off the end of the island, I had four pull rounds in the next 20mins' Shame they were all skimmers around 12oz-1lb...

I tried off the point in the deeper water but still nothing, I even tried the method over the same line but just another skimmer, I decided to have a go on the shallow wagg past the point where I could see the odd fish cruising around in the sun, Well" they were their until I chucked to them! the Chap the other side of the bush had netted one carp shallow & the pegs below him seemed to be producing a few but they all had a ripple on the water" So frustrating I just couldn't get signs off carp, Mark had netted around three carp from across by the halfway stage but not from my direction" I kept trying all my lines, Even had a go in the deeper water at 16mts but still nothing, I kept feeding across off the point & the pole line & with around 90mins to go saw a tail on the mud line, straight across again on banded pellet I had carp pushing 12lb, At Last!, I hooked another 10mins later but it was fouled & came off straight away, That was it for the moment, I continued to feed it quite heavy & had another look down the edge I had fed all day, This time it hadn't even settled before I had a fish, A 2b Tench.. No carp.

Back across I had a fish around 10lb after 15mins of trying & with an hour to go thought I had a chance of catching mark up who was now catching down his edge", It wasn't to be, I had another around 6lb with 20mins left & missed a bite at the end, Nothing down my edge or off the point for the rest of the match.

Back at the results & it had fished harder on the far back except for peg 15 of course" But it was Dave White on are side so that's ok' but most of are team had beat are men, Back on are side Mark Wynne faired best with 92lb off peg 6, I ended with three carp for 28lb & 6lb of silvers which wouldn't compete with mark who finished with 61lb odd but a good team result come the end as it finished 5-2 in are favour, Money wise we all picked up as it was spread between the whole team so after are pools money back we gained £13 each" With Lewis & myself dually spend on a giant steak burger on the way home in the pub!"

I did attempt to attend the open on Westpool on the Sunday but it was limited to ten pegs which I didn't quite understand as in the cooler months last year I drew dreaded winter peg 2 & was between pegs 1 & 3 that day with just one empty peg on the 15 peg lake.. So off home after are hearty meal" for a few more Tinny's with no Sunday fishing. Not sure if I'm fishing this weekend, The footy's on Sat Afternoon so that's a must watch & next week I'm off to Manor Farm fishery for a few days which is a much needed break & should be a good laugh.

Full Results -

1st Dave White (Shiplate) peg 15, 93lb 8oz.

2nd Mark Wynne (Colmic) peg 6, 92lb 12oz.

3rd Ken Raynor (Colmic) peg 1, 85lb 4oz.

4th Gary Finders (Shiplate) peg 5, 66lb 4oz.

5th Mark Poppleton (Colmic) peg 2, 61lb 6oz. 

Shiplate Farm 5pts

Colmic 2pts.              

No comments:

Post a Comment