Saturday 19 April 2014

Acorn Saturday Open,

With a nice day forecast  I was looking forward to the day ahead and decided to arrive early enough to have a breky onsite and a chat with a few of the others, With pegs 1-11 reserved for pleasure anglers we were going to be spread around the reminder of the lake so I wasn't to bothered as to were I would end up so into the draw and peg 22 next to one of the 3 bridges on the lake was todays pick.
For rigs today I set up two 4x10 chantis on 0.13-0.11, one with an 18 PR36 for worm the other with a 18 808 for soft pallet both to be fished as tight to the bank as possible on two different lines with a depth of around 2ft, Another rig of the same size to fish shallow along the bridge with hard pellet and a line down towards the pallet next door which I used the same rig for across with the depth being similar, I did set up a heavier 4x12 rig to fish on the bottom of the first shelf should I need it but chose not to feed anything there to start with. for company I had Barry Council a peg below the other side of the bridge and team mate Gary Cross on peg 24 who I managed to persuade to have a £1 side bet after telling him I wouldn't fish near the bridge (As If") lol.
Also having the usual £1 with Nick (Horrid) Harvey on peg 16 I began the match cupping two large cups of groundbait to the pallet which was going to contain dead maggot but I realised I had left them in the freezer' so I added some casters and hemp, I began flicking some hard 4mm towards the middle of the bridge by hand before going across with a whole worm into the bare bank towards my left and cupped some micro over the top via a cadpot, I missed a bite straight away tho I think it may have been a liner as nothing happened for the next 5mins so I switched to the swim by the bulrushes nearer the bridge with a 4mm expander on the hook again feeding micro over the top but this resulted in two small skimmers with no signs of carp so far.
I changed to the shallow rig next to the bridge where I had be feeding pellet by hand set about two feet deep and a run of carp to 2lb followed before bites slowed again but I felt they were backing under the bridge as the peg the other side was empty, adding another section saw me pinch a couple more before they stopped altogether so I continued to feed it by hand and try my deeper rig across with know joy before going back tight against the far bank with a larger 6mm but the fish didn't want to be in the shallow water over for some reason so I switched to shoving the rig into the bulrushes straight in-front of me as you can see in the picture.
 This made a big difference as I soon began to get signs of fish before adding a couple of better size fish for the bridges to 4lb,
After taking a couple of fish they seemed to become unsettled so I cupped in some more micro and rested the swim changing back next to the bridge to pinch a few more fish before what seemed to be a pattern on both lines of them backing off. Several attempts towards the inside pallet only resulted in a skimmer and from what I could see nobody seemed to be getting much off there inside lines so I concentrated on the two lines that were giving me odd fish and by swapping between them with various baits I caught right up until the all out but in not always keeping I eye on what's going in the net as I'd rather be thinking where my next fish is coming from so had no idea what I would weigh-in.  I had seen fish coming out for a few people for most of the day thought I would be a close call. My 3lb odd of silvers added to my carp gave me a total 60lb which I was pleased with at the end of the day and enough to take a quid of Gary with him just making a total of 20lb, Nick Did manage a rare nugget off me today with a total of 66lb catching short on pellet most of the day. Top weight today went to Brian Hadley with a good 85lb off peg 40 next to the bridge on the other side of the lake catching mainly on hard 6mm pellet right across near the bridge followed by Mike Owens on peg 34 also a bridge with 70lb including the top silvers weight of 14lb.
 Brian,
Mikes Silvers.
Full results                                                                                                                       
1st Brian Hadley (Weston) Peg 40, 85lb 10oz.
2nd Mike Owens (Sensas Thyers) peg 34, 70lb 4oz.
3rd Nick Harvey (Sensas Thyers) peg 16, 66lb.
4th Mark Walsh (Clevedon A.A) peg 36, 65lb 8oz.
5th Dom Sullivan (Maver/Cadbury Angling) peg 22, 60lb.
Silvers 
Mike Owens 14lb 15oz.
 

    
 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment