Sunday 15 February 2015

Viaduct Teams Of 5 (Round Three).

Back to Viaduct for this popular league and my turn to fish lodge lake with an overspill of 5 swims on Cary Lake and after another help yourself breakfast at the globe pub I'm pleased to add we had are pools money in early today meaning at least I had a chance of drawing us some good swims rather than the repeat of last time ending up last to draw' out of the nineteen teams fishing we were second up and on paper are draw didn't look to bad for a change, For me it was peg 66 lodge lake which happened to be a corner peg and had form for a few carp towards the tree along my inside bank so with this in mind these would be my main target for today as on the last round the lake fished hard with the cold weather and a few carp would be good team points if it was the same scenario this time around? It just so happened Traveling partner and team mate Don Sutherland drew directly behind me on peg 97 Cary so at least we didn't have to use the mobile" I set up 2 new rigs to fish along the bank towards the tree being 0.2g drennan AS2 floats, one on 0.17-0.15 & the other on 0.15-0.13 both with a size 16 PR434 hook, the tackle might seem on the heavy side for this time of the year but with the tree being a real bolt hole" for the fish I couldn't afford to give them much leeway!

 Not putting all my eggs in one basket I decided to have a silvers line at 13mts being a 4x12 wire wonder on 0.11-0.09 and an 18 63-13 hook in around 4ft of water were I planned to fish maggot over ground-bait as my main line but was hoping to bag so many carp down the edge I wouldn't even need to use it...?

I started the match by feeding 2 balls and two loose cups of ground-bait with a few dead red maggots and casters added onto the open 13mt swim and started the match fishing a biggish piece of punched bread fished a few inches off the deck close to me by the bull-rushes just to see if there may be a mug fish to catch early but after 5mins I  tried a bit further along towards the first leg of the pallet. Bingo" After a short battle carp number one was in the net at around 7lb which was a great start but it did cause a bit of disturbance so didn't expect another straight away, I kept in the same area for the first hour as I didn't want to push any carp further under the branches but despite trying at different depths and baits all I had were a couple of blip roach hanging on the end of 3 maggots' so it was time to have a quick look on the Silvers line. Starting on a single dead red maggot I bumped a nice fish first put-in but had a 1lb plus hybrid soon after before bumping two more decent fish straight after! I've had this happen a lot on this venue and just cant fathom out why it happens but took no risks and changed my hook-length anyway. 15mins later and just a couple of small skimmers so I added another ball of bait and tried back towards the tree. I still couldn't get any indications were I first caught so it was time to add a section and go further into the den!". After 10mins of lifting the rig around I was connected   into another carp except this time it was already under the tree" I tried my best to ship straight back but could feel it was already through the sunken branches. I got the pole nearly right back then realised it had came out" result' but it soon appeared why I had such a job as it was hooked in the tail!' it didn't matter and after a few nervy minutes I had it in the net at around 6lb".

I was hoping I now had it sorted and was looking forward to adding a few more but it wasn't to be as any signs of fish seemed to be right under the tree were I had no chance of getting too. Richard Adhere over on the opposite corner peg was also struggling for a carp just taking one on the waggler towards the back of the tree. It proved worth while having the silvers swim after all as I added a couple of better skimmers on the caster to 2lb and some smaller samples on dead maggot to add just under 9lb to my carp weight of 13lb finishing up with 10/19pts so not a disaster, In hindsight it may of paid to have another silver swim at 14mts but I put my faith in adding a few more carp which didn't happen, I chose not to feed anything down the edge and just rely on dobbing different baits about until the last hour when I decided to put-in a few grains of corn against the far leg of the platform but shipping back and not looking I forgot about the branches and got my cupping kit wedged in the groves pulling the top 8mts of my pole off..! I adverted disaster though and quick thinking saw me coax it to the bank with the rest of the pole I had in my hands" it can only happen to me!" Don Had a much better day winning his section with 38lb and finishing 4th in the silvers overall with 14lb odd picking up £100 in total. My section was won by Mark Wynne with 33lb odd but also taking the top silver weight on the day with 24lb.
Silvers winner Mark Wynne.
 
Top angler on the day was Stu woods with 115lb from corner peg 132 Cambell. team wise we didn't do much better but were not last' So with two round to go we can only get better lol, Burt baits took a great win on the day with 78pts to increase there lead at the top of the table. Match lake next time with a couple of pegs on Spring and middle so who knows were Ile end up.?

Overall results -

1st Stu Woods (Viaduct Allstars) peg 132 Cambell, 115lb 11oz.

2nd Andy Crocker (Frenzee  S/w) peg 123 Cambell, 101lb 8oz.

3rd Fred Roberts (MFS) peg 119 Cambell, 73lb 4oz.

4th Steve Denmead ( Burt Baits) peg 78 Cary, 63lb 12oz.

5th Gordon Cannings (Silverfox) peg 74 Cary, 60lb 2oz.

Silvers -

 1st Mark Wynne ( Viaduct Select) peg 69 Lodge, 24lb 15oz.

2nd Nick Chedzoy (Thathers Vets) peg 37 Spring, 21lb 10oz.

3rd Kevin East (S/W Nomads) peg 98 Cary, 16lb 1oz. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

  

                         

No comments:

Post a Comment