Sunday 25 October 2015

Shiplate Farm Open (Hawthorns Lake).

With full permission from the wife to have another day on the bank it was a short trip up the road to Shiplate Farm today, No breakfast today but I still forgot to have something to eat before leaving the house which I didn't notice until I got to the fishery and became rather hungry' 15 fishing today so the lake was full so no empty pegs to assist anyone, I still fancied a draw in the higher numbers but wasn't really bothered as I hadn't been on this lake for a while & was keen just to do my own thing so I let the wifey have a go at drawing for me for a change, Well it couldn't of been further away as she handed me peg 1 in the corner. I've had this peg before at this time of the year and it can be a bit of hit or miss, it has a very tempting inside edge but its not until you plum up (Check the depth") lol, you realise its deep at around 6ft". Never the less I set up a 4x12 chanti on 0.15-0.13 and a 16 808 hook to fish corn or dead maggot on the hook. Next up was a 0.3g hillbilly float on 0.13-0.11 and an 18 wide gape pellet hook to fish just off the far bank in 5ft of water. Finally I had an in-line dibber on 0.15-0.11 and an 18 434 hook to fish on a longer line up in the water if I thought the fish were going to be shallow.

At the all in I fed a handful of corn & 4mm pellets at 8mts down the edge, A few grains of corn & micro's on a line off to my right at 14mts and began the match over towards the far bank with 4mm expander on the hook feeding a few micro's and a nugget of ground-bait over the top via a cad pot,
 10mins later I netted my first fish which was a nice size around 7lb+, A nice settler and in the first 45mins I added two more smaller 3lb fish, Not a flying start but Julian Pinkett on peg 2 had only netted 1 carp so I was doing ok as far as I knew as I couldn't see anybody else' After 90mins & just 1 more carp I decided to try the other far line I had fed at the start with a single grain of corn on the hook, I had a skimmer of a 1lb and two similar size carp straight off then nothing' I thought this might be the pattern as the sun was out after a chilly night which doesn't make the best fishing conditions causing fish to spook easily. A quick look down the inside on corn produced another 1lb fish but nothing followed, I kept rotating between the lines I had going but most fish came off the far line on expanders, It wasn't hectic but I was getting the odd indication & fish to keep me interested, I thought things were going well until I hooked some line attached to a rig which eventually managed to snag the whole lot in the far corner" well that was the end of that rig so a bit of time wasted assembling another to do the job but even that was short lived as the next fish managed to snap the main line halfway down!.

Deep breaths' And another rig doctored" I re-fed the far lines and decided it was time to give the inside swim I had been priming ago. Starting with as single grain of corn I had a 3lb fish straight off followed by another pasty carp but that was it, With 90mins to go I had to try and get some better stamp of fish so decided to try the longer line rig towards the far corner with 6mm pellet on the hook where I had been feeding a few 4mm's with the catty at different times, Starting around 2ft deep I had a 5lb fish in seconds but again any fish were easily spooked and I couldn't get another sign shallow.
I spent the rest of the match working on the main 3 lines I had going and took a couple more fish off of each the biggest of each came from the shallow long line rig.
I was first to weight and had 49lb of carp added to a few silvers for just over 50lb, Julian had 16lb odd of carp and a few bits and it wasn't until we got further along their were a few more weights around the same" John Hawkins on the other end peg 15 managed to take the spoils with 56lb catching mainly on maggot down his inside edge to pip his dad into 2nd place with 53lb. my weight was enough for 3rd and a couple of lost fish cost me again but I'm sure it happened to others'. At least I came away with £35 so it more than paid for the day, Owe & my £1 off Peanut Howell". Enjoyable to have a chance to get somewhere else for a brief change but back to Viaduct next Sunday for the 3rd round of the silvers league which I'm sure is going to get a lot harder now the weathers getting cooler by the day. 
 My catch.

Full results-

1st John Hawkins (Wormheads) peg 15, 56lb 6oz.

2nd Rich Hawkins (Wormheads) peg 9, 53lb 10oz.

3rd Dom Sullivan (Maver) peg 1, 50lb 12oz.

4th Steve Howell (Shiplate) peg 12, 47lb 4oz.

5th. Titch Williams (Drennan Social Club) peg 5, 37lb 4oz.

6th Pete Sivell (P.S.V) peg 14, 34lb 5oz.

                

1 comment: