Sunday 14 August 2016

Tony Rixon's Float Only League (Shiplate Farm All Lakes).

I was guesting for Paul Elms in this latest round of his float only series, It was to be held over all lakes at the fishery with 41 fishing including a section on the new Squire pool which is resident to lots of small carp & gold fish" so expected a busy days fishing on here, I was hoping for a peg on the main lake as conditions looked perfect but I predicted their would be over 100lb caught of each of the canal lakes & the main lake so we would see? I was close to the front of the draw but wasn't best pleased to find myself in the narrows of Westpool Lake peg 4, I did have an empty peg either side but I still fancied the other narrow peg 2 to fair better & had to contend with all the other pegs being in the wider water, It was flat calm when we got to are pegs & with the sun already out I just didn't fancy my chances, I've draw here before in similar conditions & struggled but have seen these pegs produce with a wind blowing but that wasn't going to happen today'.

I set a rig up to fish tight to the far bank at 11mts but the deepest water I could find was only 10inches deep with the rest nearer 6 six inches"
I had a rig for down the track in just under 4ft of water & used the same rig to fish down my edge at 7mts in the same depth of water as it sloped straight off from the bank which again was only inches deep,
For company I had Tim Clark on peg 2 , Team mate Steve Segar on peg 5 & Tony Rixon on peg 7 so some banter was in order, I found another spot further along the bank again only ten inches deep at 13mts so would start the day on these. At the all in I fed a pot-full of groundbait on the far 13mt line & cupped a few 6mm's tight over at 11mts, Fed a good amount of 6mm meat & hemp down the slope on my edge line & fed some 6mm pellet down the track, I started at 11mts straight off with a lump of paste but after 15mins I switched to the 13mt line with a good worm but was pestered with small fish so re-fed it switching back to the 11mt line with banded 8mm pellet feeding a few 6mms with a cad-pot over the top, At last I managed to net a couple & after a hour when the wife arrived I had just netted my 5 fish but they were only 2-4lb , Then the wheels came off" I couldn't get a sign of fish & a small algae bloom had started to drift along are far Lines between me & Tim along with a load of weedy scum which made things worse, I had a go on the paste down the track but only had a skimmer on it all day, began to feed meet lightly down to my right which produced one carp of 4lb & a 2lb skimmer & my positive meat line wasn't much better as all it produced was a few silvers, I started pinging a few pellets tight over closer to the cover as Tony & Steve on the wider swims were catching well on it but it just didn't happen,
I had a poor day really with just 8 carp & a couple of these were only a 1lb & it wasn't much better for Tim although he did manage a few down the track on paste later in the day. Tony & Steve were admitting to over 100lb so we new we were going to be well out of it today. When the scales arrived Tim finished up with 33lb to my 27lb so that was us the last two on the lake! Steve weighed just under 93lb before Tony put 105lb to win the lake, Fair play to him as its a long way across on his peg but luckily he's got the build for it".

As far as the other lakes went they didn't disappoint, Belo Bako's on Hawthorns broke the lake record with 208lb catching very shallow tight over on pellet over pellet from peg 6, But it was that man again Mosella's Craig (Trigger) Edmonds who stole the show from peg 14 on the main lake with a massive 222lb to also claim the lake record, Catching most of his fish at 12mts on the paste over pellet, You cant take it away from him he always produces the goods when given the chance, a nice draw but he won well. Just to top lake records off, Fellow blogger Mike Nichols took the best ever weight from Squire pool with 71lb odd so a busy day for him catching on 4mm expanders.
Left Bela, Middle Mike & Right winner Craig.
 
All in all the lakes fished really well & my prediction was right but didn't quite expect 200lb plus off of two lakes" Top silvers went to Paul Faires from the main lake with 22lb & in hindsight I would of been better off targeting then again after having 5lb of them by mistake but I didn't realise there was a silvers pool anyway' Lol.

Full Results -

1st Craig Edmonds (Mosella) peg 14 Main, 222lb 14oz.

2nd Bela Bakos (Bristol) peg 6 Hawthorn, 208lb 12oz.

3rd Jason Radford (Avon Angling) peg 15 Main, 142lb 12oz.

4th Glen Bailey (Bristol) peg 14b Main, 132lb.

5th John Fuidge (The Sedges) peg 2 Main, 129lb 5oz.

Silvers -

1st Paul Faires (Sensas 88) peg 12 Main 22lb 14oz.

2nd Paul Blake (Viaduct) peg 10 Main, 15lb 6oz.            

No comments:

Post a Comment