Sunday 11 September 2016

Summerhayes Fishery Sunday Open.

It was a very last minute decision as to where I went today, I could off took the last place at Viaducts open on Lodge lake but to be honest I didn't want to buy any fresh bait as the freezer needed a good clear out". I rang Owner Pete whilst savouring a welcome breakfast at Hilltops which closes on Sept 30th for those who don't already Know. I didn't anticipate a large turn out As Shiplate Farm had there first round of their teams of three as well as the local Sedges Fishery starting their individual league taking up another 20 anglers, Among other matches.

It was worse than I expected, When I arrived their were only three of us booked-in!" Great, Now I did wish I had took the place at Viaduct". We were fortunate enough to add another three' before draw time, But more of fishing for your money back than winning anything, Pete decided to run it as a rover on Longs lake which would see us well spread out, Drawing first to see who had the first choice of peg ect saw me do my usual trick of drawing the last choice! Three rover matches on the trot here" Lol, At least I would know where the others would be, But with Venue Experts Bill Hopping & Martin Addicott both fishing, Both of whom have been winning everything between them of late here on the paste I was going to be against it but chose a swim away from then being peg 11.

It gave me the option of targeting both the silvers & carp should I see either of them bagging, I wont make it a long blog with are small knock-up so to speak, I started the day across to the far bank with banded 6mm feeding 4mm's on the deck in just over 2ft of water,
I had a 2lb fish after a couple of minutes but realised the landing net was still up the bank, I had to get up whilst playing it & clipped my number four section on the way past, luckily no damage, Shame the same couldn't be said as I got back on my box as I managed to catch it again snapping it clean in half..!" Start as you mean to go on as they say!. I got the fish in but 5minutes later I lost a foul hooker at the net causing the float to snap  the tip off" All this & I'd only been fishing 15mins".

I decided to switch to fishing just inches deep across tight to the bank still with a banded 6mm which produced a few 2-4lb fish but they were easily spooked & with the wind picking up it just wasn't quick enough for the time being but I would keep pinging a few over to keep some interested, After an hour I switched to fishing either 6 or 8mm meat down towards the next pallet in 3ft of water which I had been dump potting bait in from the start,
I had some better fish over 5lb but it wasn't hectic, I could see Martin was Catching well on fancied peg 37 next to the hut but couldn't see how bill was doing down on peg 23 & the other seemed to all be fishing for silvers, I had been feeding some 6mms by hand in a small area on my right which was just my top-kit away & began to see some signs of fish after three hours, At which point I reckoned on having about 35lb. It was only a couple of inches tight to the bank but I set the depth about 10inches & fished about 1ft of the bank with a 6mm expander over the top,
 
Yes The Water Is Blue".
 
I had a 6lb plus fish in seconds followed by a 4lb fish soon after before they backed off , This is how I spent the rest of the match, Fishing down to the pallet with meat taking a few couple of fish before, dump potting more feed & fishing the top-kit line when I saw signs of fish coming in the shallow water, I had an enjoyable second half of the match chasing fish off both lines, I was cursing not having the best of starts & spent to long trying to catch across but it turned out to be a good day, At one point I was thinking I would have to fetch another fishery net but come the end I new I would be close to the net limits? I was in the first as it went 79lb 5oz with the limit being 80lb" The next net weighed 63lb odd before a few small tench gave me a total of 147lb odd, I knew it wouldn't be enough as martin was admitting to 200lb plus, & Bill was admitting to over 200lb as well. It turned out Bill came out on top with 213lb to Martin's 205lb so fair play to them both as they have the paste fishing sussed here at the moment, I'm not keen on fishing it but used to all the time at places like Emerald Pool years ago but judging by the amount of fishery's responding to it this year I might just have to give it another go next season. Back down to Viaduct again next Saturday for their open on Cambell & Cary & with the silvers final on the horizon it may be a practice session for them depending on the draw. 
         

No comments:

Post a Comment