Saturday 11 January 2014

Acorn fishery

Back to acorn fishery today as I haven't been for a few weeks mainly due to the fact the same peg seems to be winning due to a stretch of the lake being reserved for pleasure anglers which the fish seem to like backing off  into? Running late this morning left me no time for a breky so straight to the fishery and a quick cupa was it today, Back to the draw with 13 of us fishing we were going to be spread around the remainder  of the lake The pools have been dropped to £12 with an optional £1 golden peg , I was one of the last in the bag ending up on peg 34 next to the bridge with Rich Healey on the other side peg 35. I did fancy it for a few bites although the bridges tend to hold smaller fish and said to Rich I recon 20lb could get in the frame today as venue regular Dave (Dogging) Wride won the Tuesday match with three Carp as rumour had it.   

I wasen't going to complicate things today so opted to fish a couple  of swims away from the bridge infront of me and to my left in around 4ft of water with maggot micro and 4mm expanders via a tosspot , Another swim across at 13mts tight up against the bridge which I would start on in the same depth with 4x12 chanti on  0.11-0.10 with a 20 808 and an inside swim with the same line and an 18 808 at 8mts which is a bit short with the water being clear tho I did draw this peg in the early part of the year and caught some big fish on corn after snapping my pole and not being able to fish more than 8mts!.

Ready before the start I went for a chat with ex-team mate and good friend  Nick ( Morrisons trolley thief) Harvey from Sensas Thyers who was on peg 28 at the far end of the lake and having my usual £1 with him as he had acres of room" to draw a few fish from... I was back for a cuppa before the all in.

Opting to feed a small amount of caster and 10 grains of corn at 8mts down the edge and a small amount of micro and expanders in front of me I stared up against the bridge with red maggot feeding some reds and micro via the tosspot, 20mins in and after trying various depths and baits I was biteless so it was time to try the line straight in front of me so starting on the expander just touching the bottom I had a bite after 5 mins which I wasen't ready for and missed" but at least it a sign, Next put in and I was ready like a hawk and after feeding around ten micros and a couple of expanders I had a carp around 2 lbs the next hr was slow tho nobody was catching much from what I could see except for Aide Baker on end peg 11 so after 2 f1s and two small carp it was starting to dry up so I moved across two metres to my left and started feeding a new line whilst swiching back to expander next to the bridge.

Ten minutes biteless I was onto the new line which gave me a 4lb carp next put in then nothing so I plumed a new swim a metre from the bridge and feed it with a cad pot of expanders hoping a carp or two would come on it in the last hour from under the bridge, swapping between the now 3 lines across" I was getting the odd small carp but I wouldn't get more than a bite from each line even tho I was only feeding tiny amounts on each, I did try at half depth on caster in the middle of the bridge where I was flicking some in but only had 1 roach and a try down the edge on corn and caster saw no response so I stayed across swapping lines for some more small carp and skimmers on expander  for the last 45mins including 2 x  3lb fish taken on the new swim nearer the bridge, the lake was fishing hard for all I could see so it was going to be close on the weight in.

Aide Baker won the day with 54lb odd from peg 11 as I expected although you still have to get it right and he did well to catch some nice carp and 14lb of silvers on maggot and expanders over small amounts of feed via a toss pot and my 19lb 8oz was enough for second which was a few pennies back and above all it was a very pleasant day weather wise which has made a change"

Full result -

1st Aide Baker peg 11 Clevedon A.A 54lb 8oz

2nd Dom Sullivan peg 34 Maver/Cadbury Angling 19lb 8oz

3rd Dave Stephenson peg 5 Clevedon A.A 17lb 4oz

4th Lee waller peg 23 Acorn 11lb 2oz

Silvers

Andy Gard peg 7 Acorn 5lb 14oz

 Trolly thief Nick try to get off with with giving me 50p claiming I had a better peg but I was having none of it so took his i.o.u" off to viaduct for first rd of the teams of five and I haven't been down there for yonks so should be interesting.


 


           

No comments:

Post a Comment