Sunday 26 January 2014

Shiplate Farm Series Rd 8.

With the Forcast to be windy and driving rain I wasn't going to venture out today but dreading the thought of my wife finding me some DIY to do a phone call was made to fishery owner Steve and a place available on Westpool Lake in the event of Paul Chapman not fishing today, Being as the fishery is on my doorstep and in the event of my tooth still giving me grief it wasn't far for me to retreat if things got worse.

Greeted by high winds and driving rain on arrival I was beginning to think a coat of paint here and there in the house wasn't such a bad idea" waterproofs on and a nice free cuppa before the draw was welcome as no breky stop today, Steve has done well to pack in the fags in aid of the new E-Cig which no matter what, Has to be better than tobacco except when you first see them it looks like something you would find being smoked at a Bob Marley Gig"
    (notice Carol doing some modelling on the Calendar Behind him..)


 The Lovely Carol taking a laid back role. Back to the draw and I let the others go before me as I was guesting today so had the last in the hat today although Steve (peanut) Howell asked me to draw before him tho which I refused and he ended on peg 3 in the narrows with me ending up on 13, And funnily enough a peg I had never draw before, A quick chat to Andy France as he had won a match off the same lake last week put some ideas in my head as how things should pan out, Andy caught all his fish over to the bull rushes shallow with maggot on the hook so this was my starting plan without feeding and just having a dob around.               Below  -  (Dobbing land)
   
My home for the day.
Opting to fish along the bank to my left and right I set up two identical 4x10 chantis on 0.13-0.11 & an 18 808, a float I use a lot at this time of the year due to the fact I've used them for approx. 20yrs and find them to suit a lot of situations,
I also set a rig to fish at dead depth down my inside in 4ft of water with caster though it was a bit if a through away line as the aerator rope prevented me from going to far, One more rig was to fish at the bottom of the far shelf for silvers in 5ft of water over groundbait and caster with a few floro pinkees added.
For company today I had Gordon (Golly) jones on my right peg 12 and young Tom Light on end peg 15 both guys were doing ok in the league for silvers so there main lines were to be based around them.
Not quite ready in the hooter but no big deal I cupped in 3 balls on the 13mt line with pinkee & casters in and cupped some maggot and caster down by the rope to my left, Starting straight in front of me to give me the option to search further along the bank if need be I set the rig at around 2ft deep with double red maggot and dropped in at 14mts choosing not to feed anything , 20mins in and despite dobing the rig and changing depth I didn't have a sign so it was time to dig the 16mt extension out and go a bit further to my left which would make it easier with the wind picking up but coming off my right shoulder into the far bank, changing to 3 floros gave me a bite straight away at around two and a half feet deep and carp no.1 was netted at 3lb, one more missed bite and a daddy ruff  saw me switch to my right were I decided to feed around a dozen floros & the same of micro pellet but nothing happened so after a look on the left hand swim I decided to try my silvers line to see if one of the lakes resident Bream had turned up, first put in on double caster saw me have a 5oz perch then nothing but this line was towing quite hard so I cupped in another ball squeezed slightly harder and hid the casters & pinkees inside.
Back on the left hand 16mt swim with 3 floro pinkee and another Carp hooked only for it to come off as I picked up the landing net" B###cks! A foul hooker in the next ten mins which also came off" had me thinking It was going to be one of those days until I connected with another lively 3lb carp which was safely netted, By moving the rig along the rushes two feet at a time I was getting the odd bite but I was missing a few as the gusting wind was hampering the presentation and a couple of times I had very small roach attached so switching  back to the silvers line with triple pinkee saw me take a run of small skimmers by dragging the rig once it had settled but I was going to get nowhere fast so I decided to stick it out fishing  across, despite trying a piece of punch bread and double red maggot all along the rushes I could only muster bites on the floro pinkee and without feeding anything I started to hook some carp but they were only small, Owner Steve was now on his way round and after stopping to inform me that peanut had 8 carp and Dean Madlin over on Hawthorn had 6 and as it stood I had 4 for around 10lb but had lost 3" he also informed me everyone he stood behind on are lake had hooked a carp, 2 seconds later and Bingo the float shot under and a better carp was hooked, Steve being a bit of a jinx to me in the past made a hasty retreat to Tom on the next peg only for me to skilfully get it back to my top set and a quick glance of Steve out of my eye saw it shead the hook again! Yep" he's a jinx to me so we have a neutral agreement from now on if he comes any were near me during a match im just ignoring him!
 A check of the hook saw it had gone blunt which then had me cussing as to why I hadn't changed it earlier, its mistakes like this which can cost anyone at the end of the day after all I had done all the hard work by getting the bite! Some heavy showers really put the fish off in the last couple of hours and I didn't have any indications whilst it was raining but the high light had to be when golly went to net a 4lb carp he had hooked on his light rig and his landing net came away at the brass fitting then sinking to the bottom of the lake" in desperation he decided to reach for something to scoop it out with as I couldn't pass him mine as I was wrapped around 16mts of pole' This is where it all went wrong as he slipped backwards and fell straight on his ass still attached to the carp with ten feet of elastic streaming from the end of the pole dispite doing his best he only went and slipped over again this time landing right on his cupping kit with an almighty CRACK"
By now I was dying with laughter only for me to look up as my float shot under but I wasn't ready and didn't set the hook properly causing it to come off! then I turn round to see Golly finally get to his feet and trying his best to scoop his carp out with his maggot riddle!
I couldn't take any more so got off my box to help him net the carp, bloody marvellous there's me trying to keep um on the hook and his wouldn't bloody come off..!
I did manage to retrieve his net after the match with my weed cutter.
WHOOPS GOLLY"
I finished the day with 14lb of carp and just over 1lb of silvers but 6 lost fish (two foul hooked) was looking costly today and so proved as Tom on 15 ended up winning the section with 23lb odd catching well towards the corner in the last hour with chub and carp on maggot,  First on the day went the way of Alan Healy on Peg 5 westpool with 42lb 13oz all caught by dobbing around about 2ft deep on bread or maggot to the far bank with Peanut on next peg 3 finishing up with 37lb 4oz for 2nd on the day top weight on hawthorns was Dean with 28lb 12 oz
full results -
1st Alan Healy (PSV) 42lb 13oz
2nd Steve Howell (Shiplate) 37lb 4oz
3rd Dean Madlin (Dynamite Baits) 28lb 12oz
Silvers-
1st Julian Pinkett (Bristol Post Office) 7lb 10oz
2nd Tom Light (Shiplate) 7lb 2oz
My Catch.
Alan 42lb 13oz 
         Julian pinkett (left) silvers & Alan Healy (winner).
                

No comments:

Post a Comment