Saturday 17 May 2014

Acorn Fishery Saturday Open.

Back to Acorn today hoping for one of the more fancied pegs than I've had of late here and with the forecast to be the hottest day of the year so far at least a sun tan was in order, Only 10 fishing today so the pegging was spread around the lake away from the pegs allocated for pleasure anglers, I had the last peg in the hat as I was still enjoying my breakfast come draw time and ended up on peg 7 for the day.
 When I got to my peg there were already signs of fish over on the far bank amongst the rushes as well as fish slurping along the bridge in peg 6, Not wanting to complicate things I had a rig to fish tight over against the boards on the far bank as you can see in pic with the depth being 2ft.
 The same rig would be used to fish tight into the bank on my left later in the day if the fish ventured in this close, Another rig to fish the bottom of the inside shelf at 6mts in four feet of water and a in-line dibber rig to fish up in the water at 13mts out into the lake as there seemed to be fish milling around out in the middle of the lake. For company I had Brian (Anteater) Slipper on peg 9 who from what I could see was going to base his hopes around fishing shallow on the long pole.
At the start I cupped in some 4mm hard pellet and a few grains of corn at the bottom of the near shelf and started the day with a 4mm expander on the hook over against the boards just cad potting some micros and groundbait over the top. It wasn't long before I was into fish but they were small carp, F1's and skimmers and with no silvers pool today to make things count I had to try and catch some bigger fish, within 40mins I was out on the long pole shallow as Brian had already had 3 bigger fish up in the water. I spent the next hour chasing shadows as I only managed three fish and although Brian was having to wait for fish he was getting far more indications but I couldn't seem to get the fish to come around the point from peg 5 so I made my mind up to catch what I could from the swim tight over as at least I was putting fish in the net. I switched to feeding 4mm hard pellet via the catty and fished a banded 6mm set about a foot deep, It did work for a while and although the fish were smaller I was catching until they started slurping the pellets which had landed in the rushes causing me to foul hook lots of fish along the way trashing three rigs at the end of the day. my inside lines only produced a fish off each so most of the match was spent trying shallow in the open water and on the far line as this seemed to give me a few before I had to rest it, I was never going to catch Anteater and Maria Green And Mark Walsh over on the island pegs 2 and 4 had had good sized fish. At the weigh-in Maria weighed a great 85lb catching on the pellet feeder across to the island giving her hubby another thumping along the way"
 Maria Green.
 Next up was Walshy' on peg 2 who catch well on paste down the inside in the last couple of hours to finish with 93lb Before Brian went on to better that with a final weight of 100lb with most of his fish falling to 6 or 8mm pellet on the long pole shallow.
 Brian (Anteater) Slipper.
I finished the day with 58lb which wasn't going to get me any coin today but at least I had a few fish and the weather was a belter and after wearing my shorts for the first time this year I managed to burn my knee caps"
 My Catch.
Full Results -
 1st Brian Slipper (Sensas Thyers) peg 9, 100lb 15oz.
2nd Mark Walsh (Acorn) peg 2, 93lb 10oz.
3rd Maria Green (Un-Attached) peg 4, 85lb 6oz.
4th Dom Sullivan (Maver/Cadbury Angling) peg 7, 58lb 8oz.
 
 I couldn't go without mentioning the state of team mate Gary Cross as he looked like he had been kipping on the streets" as you can see him on the right in photo alongside Lee Waller and Kev Perry.

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment