Saturday 12 July 2014

Acorn Saturday Series Round 1.

Clevedon A.A are running a 3 match Saturday evening series on the paddock lake so after a nice bit of extra time in bed this morning and chance to get over last nights session" I arrived in plenty of time to clear my head, Fishing from 2 till 7 some good weights were expected and catching down the edge should be the main method later in the day. the pegs were to be spread all around the lake giving us all a bit of room so I wasn't to worried when I ended up drawing peg 15 on the straight bank, After choosing to trim a bit of grass across the far bank to start with so I could fish up in the shallow water tight in was going to be my starting line where I was keen to try out the new Drennan 4x10 AS3 floats which are designed for this type of fishing as my favourite Chanti's can take a bit of a bashing when the carp are as active as they are at this time of the year. I had about 18inches tight over so fished 0.15 - 0.13 and an 18 PR36 hook where I planned to use up some worms I've had for a good few weeks mixed with caster.

 My far line.

 

A dobbing rig to fish 6mm hard pellet on 4ft of line was also made up as there were fish swimming around on the top so I would look for an early fish or two without feeding, A rig to fish the bottom of the near shelf at 4mts to my right with dead maggot over groundbait,
 And a rig for fishing shallow tight into my inside bank on my left again at 5mts where I planned to feed 4mm pellet by hand and fish a bit of paste or hard pellet over the top, For company I had Nick ( Trolley Thief ) Harvey on peg 12 so are usual £1 side bet was struck and after lending him it at Summerhayes the other week so I planned to get it back" Mark Walsh wanted in on it so I had a £1 with him Aswell.  
At the start I cupped in half a pot of chopped worm and caster across to the far bank and cupped 6 balls of groundbait at the bottom of inside shelf to my right and began on the dobbing rig looking for an early fish but as normal the fish soon wised up to us trying to catch them and disappeared of the surface so after 15mins of trying I switched to fishing the far bank with a whole worm catapulting casters over the top, it wasn't long before I had a carp followed by some 1lb F1's, but was beginning to get pestered by small perch so I cut out feeding worm and just fed caster and fished double on the hook. This seemed to work and I added some fish to 5lb and some skimmers so at least I was catching, looking around Nick was getting the odd fish shallow and Paul Nichols on peg 8 was catching some but I couldn't see What Mark Bartlett over on peg 32 was catching, But then most of us couldn't as he had nobody near him lol'
After a while the swim was telling me I needed to rest my far line so I had a go shallow for a while down the track where I had been flicking a few pellets in by hand but with no fish here or over my groundbait line I had to try and make things happen as some people were catching better as the day went on.
 
After seeing a few swirls down the edge to my left where I had also fed pellet by hand I decided to have a try at half depth ( About 10inches) with a hard 6mm on the hook.    
 
First put in saw the elastic ripped out as soon as the rig settled so I spend most of the remaining match switching  tight to the bank on both sides pinching a fish then swapping sides, most of the time I had a bite as soon as I dropped the rig in and all the fish came off the deck dispite seeing the odd tail break the surface when I tried on the deck I would foul hook fish every time". When things did go quite I pinched the odd carp across by flicking the odd pellet towards the far bank on the same rig, The last 90mins were best for me but it was for everybody from what I could see, Nick caught better at the end of match shallow with some good size fish so it was going to be close for the quid" Paul had caught really well shallow towards the far bank in the second half of the match and put a good 135lb on the scales, Nick was next to weigh and ended the day with 85lb, My turn and I was pleased to see my silvers net go 16lb odd which was top on the day and added to my carp gave me a total of 94lb odd so Nick and Walshy better Luck next time"
 part of my catch.
  Last to weigh was Mark and as expected he had a good day finishing with a great 183lb catching most of his fish down both inside swims with worm or corn so well done mate,
 Winner Mark Bartlett.
 
Picking up £20 for the top silvers weight was a bonus along with the fact Mark and Paul had only fished the day as an open meaning I take an early lead in the series so that's a good start. Off to the River Huntspill For the team champs tomorrow so home to take all the pellet out my bag" Away from the match a big well done goes to Andy Geldart for winning Fisho" Mania today who I happened to have a £10 wager on giving me a nice £100 profit" Cheers!
Full Results -
1st Mark Bartlett (Matrix) peg 32, 183lb 6oz.
2nd Paul Nichols (Clevedon.A.A) peg 8, 135lb.
3rd Dom Sullivan (Maver/Cadbury Angling) peg 15, 94lb 10oz.
4th Nick Harvey (Sensas Thyers) peg 12, 85lb 6oz.
5th Mark Walsh (Acorn) peg 26, 84lb 3oz
Silvers -
Dom Sullivan, 16lb 4oz.     

          


 

        

No comments:

Post a Comment