Monday 21 July 2014

Southwest Super league Rd 3, River Huntspill.

After deciding to take a day off fishing on Saturday due to the forecast of thunder and lightning and not taking the risk of being lit up like a Xmas tree' It was down to one match this weekend and I was really hoping to draw an area which had been showing form so far but never the less it was a team match so where ever I ended up I would do the best I could for maximum points. With 8 teams fishing the match would be fished from Gold Corner down stream both on the north and south bank in different areas.  

After the usual hilltops breakfast with traveling partner and team mate Don we made are way for the draw, We were both surprized to see an extra section added on the north bank between the motorway and railway rather than one of the sections which had been pegged the previous two weeks, The first problem here would be that this area wouldn't of seen any bait as such, Along with the fact of the hellish walk would certainly put people off taking a pleasure trip" After all the chat of what would of wouldn't be Captain Chris Hook went off to do the team draw.

The moment he returned and placed his hand on my shoulder I just new my destiny for the day would be the section we were all talking about' Ok no big deal but please reward me with one of the end pegs" NOPE! So there I was two pegs from the end off the section on peg 267. I had Drawn this section twice last year and the first match I was in the same area and didn't have anything on the pole line but the last match I had 13lb of eels on the pole closer to the motorway bridge after the area had been fished for a few weeks.

When I eventually arrived at my peg at least I managed to get my box arranged so I didn't have to get right in the water for a change, The conditions weren't to bad with a slight wind but this place can change in moments so my normal plan was to fish the feeder to start with at a distance I could hit each time should the wind blow up although it not as wide here so that shouldn't be a problem.
 Next up were two pole rigs to fish at 12mts for eels being 0.04 & 0.06 on 0.11 main line and an 0.10 hooklength with a size 20 B520 hook. For company Mark Broomsgrove had managed to draw the end peg and we both thought he would be hard to beat with know one below him although there was a peg in the middle of the section which won both matches last year so if they were still there who knows'.
At the all in I fed a palmful of maggot and casters onto the pole line and had 8 chucks with the feeder containing red squatt and some casters, Starting with a bunch of squatt on a size 16 B611 I had a small roach followed by 2 small skimmers but 20mins in and a swap round between hook baits I had a proper bite which resulted in a 2lb Skimmer taken on caster tipped off with Squatt.
Sussed it"? No, And no matter what I couldn't muster a bite so I took the hooklength off and had 5 chucks with some chopped worm and dead red maggot through the feeder but after 2hrs on the tip and only adding a few small perch I was itching to give the pole line a try.
Starting on the lighter rig with double white maggot I was expecting to get bites almost straight away but it just didn't happen and I felt my worst fears were right, Without previous bait going in it was going to be hard to catch on the pole line and from what I could see those who had ventured onto the pole were also struggling, At the halfway point Mark on the end peg had managed a few good skimmers along with Shane Williams two pegs up although Richard Aherne from the freenze team next to me was struggling as was the guy to my right.
I keep feeding the pole line all day although with just the one bite which saw me connect with nothing I just wasn't going to be and with the wind increasing all the while I spent most of the match staring at the tip!
 
I did manage to catch 2 more skimmers and an eel on the feeder along with some smaller fish before the all out but was still disappointed not to have a few on the pole line which I had been looking forward too. Mark was first to weigh and ended up with 7 skimmers and a few eels for 14lb odd, Next peg weighed 1lb odd then it was me ending up with a total of 6lb 6oz, Richard ended with 4lb before Shane Williams on 265 had 24lb odd to win the section with ease which did turn out to be the peg that won the matches last year so they hadn't moved much! My weight on the day was enough to take 3rd in the section which was really the best I could hope for so team wise it meant 6pts out of a possible 8 which I was happy with.
Back at the results apart from Glen Calvert winning his section and Ivan Currie having 5pts the rest struggled which saw us finish last on the day which was not the result we were hoping for, These kind of matches are not for the light hearted as most of the time its hard to draw on fish so you have to stay positive right up until the final whistle and muster what you can from your peg and Shane in my section proved the point after picking off skimmers through the day he was rewarded with two 5lb plus bream in the last 20mins. After a bit of a mix up with the pegging meaning Thyers Ended up drawing 3 end pegs they went on to win the day ahead of League leaders Preston Innovation Thatchers.
Back next week hoping to draw an end or noted peg again but will be happy to draw where some bait has gone in"
     
 

      
           

No comments:

Post a Comment