Sunday 8 March 2015

Viaduct Teams Of 5 Final Rd.

At least we were greeted by a milder day than of late which couls mean an improvement of the fishing if the colder nights hadn't taken there toll, With Don picking me up we sampled the help yourself breakfast for the last time this year at the globe Inn at Somerton which was very nice and has got better as the matches have gone on' before making are way to the fishery to unload the kit before team mate Steve Seager who was doing the team draw for the day arrive to tell us are fate?. His face said it all as on paper it didn't look the best of draws and mine didn't look to favourable being an open water peg on Spring peg 20 with no island chuck which is were most of the carp are hooked on the lake at this time of the year,
 
I was really disappointed to tell the truth as I know most of the match would have to be spent on the pole, For which I had to borrow one off my good friend Steve Howell after snapping my No.6  when pleasure fishing yesterday" and it never feels the same when you borrow someone's kit but I was thankful as my options were limited somewhat.

I set up a small cage feeder to fish towards the end of the over hanging tree off to my left but I would be sharing the area with the guy on peg 25 who also had the end of the tree directly in-front of him which seems a bit daft but that's the way it goes. with mainly silvers in mind A 4x12 wire wonder on 0.11-0.09 to 18 63-13 hook to fish at 14mts and 12mts off to my left at 2'oclock where it was all 4ft deep all over , And finally a 4x8 Chanti to fish along my inside bank with caster over loose fed caster. I had Ron Hardiman to my left on 21 towards the corner on the end peg and Terry Gilbert on the end of the island peg 19 which I was really hoping I had drawn as it get slightly deeper in the pegs to my right and can be a good area for big skimmers. Ron and myself new we were up against it so had a quid between us to keep the interest up'.

At the all-in I fed 4 balls of ground-bait at 14mts with some chopped worms, casters, & Dead red maggots added and a pot of loose ground-bait over the top, and 1 small ball at 12mts and a pot of loose with dead pinkie's in over the top. I began to fed a few casters down the edge by hand before starting on the small ground-bait feeder towards the end of the tree with dead red maggot on the hook, Well Terry had a double figure carp first chuck next to the island" job done! whilst Glynn on peg 25 and myself were sharing about 6ft of water" 45mins later after reeling in most casts to find myself attached to leafs and debris from the tree all I had was two small roach and missed a bite on corn but felt I was going nowhere so it was time for a change. first off I tried down the edge and soon added a few perch to 8oz and some roach about 5oz but with the water being clear they wouldn't stay in the swim to long so soon found myself trying the long pole lines.

Starting at 14mts with dead maggot I had 8oz skimmer followed by a 1lb plus fish on the head of a worm, a switch to the 12mt swim with double dead pinkee on the hook saw me add a 2lb skimmer but then nothing, A top up on each line saw me try the edge again for a few more perch and roach but they just wouldn't stay in the swim for long. With over half the match gone I just kept plugging away between the 3 pole lines pinching the odd fish off each to keep me interested as Terry was now catching some nice skimmers on the feeder just short of the island as was Dan on peg 18 on the long pole but it was expected so just kept at it. Things were at least looking good for the £1 off Ron until 10mins from the end he hooked a carp down his inside infront the empty pallet netting it with 2mins to go", convinced it was enough for him to take beat me I handed it over as we began to pack up, only it turned out his total weight went 15lb wasn't enough to beat my 16lb of silvers so he was gutted when he had to return it with one of his shinny one's!" result cheers mate.. Terry ended up having a good day after his initial Carp Finishing with 28lb of skimmers which was enough to pick up 3rd overall in the silvers pool as well as having the top total weight on the lake.
 Spring lake winnerTerry Gilbert.  

Back at the results and it was Cambell lake which again produced the winner, Mark Brennan taking the top spot with 127lb from peg 115 on the bomb and meat, Rob Jones Took the top silvers with 34lb odd from off spit peg 26 on Spring Lake with a mainly skimmer net caught on dead red maggot on the long pole, team wise It was a case of could Team Flip Flop hold on to there 6pt league but they had a disaster on the day finishing last with 27pts meaning the overall honours went the way of consistent Burts Baits taking the league overall from runners up Thatchers Gold,
 League winners Burt Baits.
 
Individually Ben Hagg Of Burt Baits (Middle of pic) was top overall finishing the league with 79pts so well done to you all. Well That's it for another year and as a team we didn't have the best of starts but the last two rounds have seen improvement finishing 4th on the day today and 15th in the league but at least we got out of last place" lol. My draws have seen me on a couple of duffers and the right pegs wrong time scenario' but it did have a couple that suited so was thankful to pick some money up along the way, A very well run league and popular with the turn out of 95 anglers as there aren't many matches like this around now. 

Full Results-

1st Mark Brennan (Somerset Angling) peg 115 Cambell, 127lb 4oz.

2nd Ben Hagg (Burts Baits) peg 126 Cambell, 120lb 15oz.

3rd Chris Davis (Team Flip Flop) peg 125 Cambell, 109lb 15oz. 

4rd Mark Edwards (Frenzee Black) peg 85 Cary, 99lb 4oz.

Silvers-

1st Rob Jones (Frenzee Orange) peg 26 Spring, 34lb 13oz.

2nd Chris Fox (MFS) peg 43 Match, 30lb 14oz.

3rd Terry Gilbert (Thatchers Gold, peg 19 Spring, 28lb 10oz.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


         

               

1 comment:

  1. Dom do you know how to use the comments on your blog or do you just not bother to publish them? Nice day at Shiplate mate!

    ReplyDelete