Saturday 19 March 2016

Sedges Fishery Pairs (Day 2)

Back to the Sedges for the second round of the two day pairs event held over Brick & Tile Lake with each angler fishing each lake in turn. I met partner Gabriel Skarba at hilltops for breakfast before arriving early at the fishery, What was noticeable was the change in weather from last week being overcast & a brisk wind from the east was making it very cold in areas. It was my turn to fish Brick lake & judging by last weeks results the corner pegs could prove valuable as the won every section last time around' Gabo let me draw again (He must be mad") & I drew peg 15 for myself which was in the middle of the near bank but at least I had the wind off my back & Gabo ended up on end peg 21 on Tile which is the first peg up on the far bank in the corner, It produced a good weight last week winning the section so even with the wind in his kisser it had to be fancied for a weight & good points.

It turned out we had a know show in are section so I ended up with an empty peg either side so had plenty of room.
First up was the bomb to fish various baits over towards the centre of the Lake, Next up was a pellet waggler to also fish across or so I thought as I had left it at home all made up in its case" Skip that for the time being then! I had a 0,6g PB1 to fish at 14mts in 8ft of water on 0.14-012 & an 18 pellet hook, & a 4x14 Chanti to fish at 7mts in same depth 0n 0.15-0.13 & an 16 Silver fish Pellet hook. For company I had Tom Thick in the next section on my left & Lance (Gummy") Tucker to my right. I began by feeding a good handful of micro's on the 14mt line & a small amount of hemp & around 20 cubes of meat at 7mts before starting the day on the bomb & Punched Meat, In the first hour all I had was a 2lb skimmer on punched yellow meat but had been through a range of baits from bread, Pellet ect, I had managed to assemble a pellet waggler on my spare 13ft rod so it was time to give it ago as I had already seen signs of fish breaking the surface. 15mins of swapping depth still didn't produce so it was time to try the long pole.

Starting on a 4mm expander I missed a bite which I expected to be small fish so switched to fishing banded hard 4mm pellets on the hook. Soon after I had another 2llb skimmer on only for it to come off shipping back'. I topped it up straight away but nothing followed so decided to try the bomb again. Feeding some hard 8mm pellets with the catty with the same on the hook finally got me a carp around 6lb but then no so much as a liner, Lance had a couple of early carp on the bomb but had added a couple on the waggler shallow so gave it another go.

15mins later & I still hadn't had a bite on it, What was noticeable was I had quite a ripple where I was casting although lances peg was clear of the breeze so felt they weren't to keen feeding in it? It was time to try the pole starting with a cube of 6mm meat on the hook. After a few minutes I had a 2lb skimmer then soon after hooked a carp which again came off" before the swim totally died so again had to try my other Lines & rest it. It didn't seem to matter what I tried I just couldn't get bites on anything, Back on the 7mt line approaching the halfway stage so me add a decent fish around 12lb before foul hooking & losing another decent fish. It seemed to be a case getting early signs before you had to rest it again. Still nothing elsewhere in the next 30mins so I new then my best chance was the 7mt line which I expected to get better going into the last hour? I had another 8lb fish as soon as I dropped back in & with the last hour approaching but it was not as hectic as I hoped it to be, I managed two more decent skimmers & just one more better carp but did miss at least 6 bites & bumped off two more when trying a couple of inches overdepth? It seemed best just to have an 8mm cube just touching the deck feeding just a few cubes over the top but I felt somehow I could of just added a few more fish off this line, It was towing though a little so maybe trying a heavier rig would of helped but I try & fish as light as possible as I believe it magnifies the bites. It turned out I had been looking the wrong way as far as what I though was my section towards tom as it turned out it was only Lance, Eric Fouracre & myself for the section without the no show, Eric was first to weigh from peg 10 in the corner which produced the winner in the first match, It wasn't as good today & his 6 carp & bits went 45lb odd, Next up was lance who had 7 carp & 9lb of silvers for 48lb odd & my 4 carp & 8lb of silvers gave me a 42lb total so just the one fish between us. disappointed not to have won the section as I had my chances but that's the way it goes, Tom had done well adding a few big fish off his 5mt meat line winning his section with 7 fish for 71lb. Back at the results & Gabo had finished second in his section with 56lb but also lost a fish in the last 5mins costing him the section win. Lost fish & missed bites had cost a place in the final standing & payouts for sure but that's the way it goes.  Newly sponsored by Frenzee, Dan White fished another good match from peg 32 on Tile to win the day with 125lb ahead of Jamie Parkhouse who took 99lb from the same lake. In the final standing for the pairs Jamie & Nigel Garrett came out on top to take the top prize of £500 so well done to the pair of them". It was good fun fishing this & I'le look forward to doing it again after having a few more visits to the venue. I have booked into the Three match top 2" starting later this year which is something new to me so looking forward to that aswell. Off to Viaduct tomorrow for a match on Cary Lake so hoping to snare a few lumps".

Days Results -

1st Dan White (Freenze South West) peg 32 Tile, 125lb 8oz.

2nd Jamie Parkhouse (Exeter) peg 37, 99lb 9oz.

3rd Nigel Garrett (Bait-tech Viaduct) peg 9 Brick, 92lb 13oz.

4th Tom Thick (Thatchers Tackle) peg 17 Tile, 86lb.

5th Nick Chedzoy (P.I.Thatchers) peg 7 Brick. 80lb 7oz.

6th Steve Fouracre (Sedges) peg 40 Tile, 69lb 8oz

Overall Pairs Results -

1st Nigel Garrett & Jamie Parkhouse.

2nd Dan White & Scott Puddy.

3rd Dave White & Dave Romaine. 

      

                    

1 comment:

  1. I'm cut to the quick that you have wiped my joint 4th place with 86lb, from history :(

    ReplyDelete