Thursday 6 October 2016

Viaduct Fishery Thursday Costcutter (Cambell & Cary).

With an opportunity for match at Viaduct whilst some work was being done on my trailer I was keen for a day on the bank, I stopped off at Hilltops for a breakfast as I found out the last day of trading is now Sunday the 23rd before arriving in plenty of time to have a wander around Cambell. It was certainly an Autumn morning with a chill in the air from the slight easterly breeze, I happened to take a photo from peg 129 then noticed a paste float sat dead still in peg 130 At about 6mts, It wouldn't be my choice of peg but at least I would claim the float if I did happen to draw it' A good turnout again with 31 fishing & at the last minute Team Captain Chris Hook put in an appearance, We were near the back of the draw & yep I picked it" Peg 130!"
At least I had a new float & yes I did get it". I decided straight away I would have a day fishing for silver's & went to purchase some caster before Chris said to weight & see where he drew as I could have his, Where did he end up, Next to me on 129 so it was off to till to purchase a couple of pints". Mr small fish & silvers supremo Gary Etheridge Was also with us today & had drawn peg 96 on Cary, I told him it was Crap for silvers but that was to try & throw him off the trail as I new he would be trying for them as well as some of the silvers regulars.

Arriving at are swims with Chris being on the spit decided to target the carp & the other side of me Roy worth on the end peg would put his faith in the bomb & pellet approach also for carp so that suited me. I was going to do things a bit different today & decided to put all my faith in fishing no further than 9mts as we had the breeze getting up towards us already, I would fish worm & caters over W/C & ground bait at 9mts being a 0.2g pencil on 0.13-0.09 & an 18 PR490 hook, Feed Another line at the same distance to my left with G/bait & dead maggots, Fish caster on the hook over caster on my top kit plus one on a longer line In-front of me being a 4x10 Chanti again on the same line with an 18 PR412 hook & the same distance down to my left under the tree with the same set up on a short line,
 & finally a 3x8 Chanti to fish just off the bank on my top-kit but I only had about 18inches of water a couple of feet off, I had a nugget with Chris but to be honest I would have to pray he didn't catch many & me empty it Lol.

I began the day by feeding two balls of G/bait with caster & worm at 9mts slightly left, Feed a ball with dead reds at the same distance left & fed the other lines by hand with a few casters, I started on the depth rig on my top3 down towards the tree which soon got me a few roach but the were a bit on the small side to begin with. I began to up the amount of casters I was feeding here as a look on the other short lines showed no early signs which got me a few more chunky" roach but no signs of any bonus Perch or Tench, After an hour I had around 4lb but things were starting to show up so it was time to try the longer 9mt lines.

I started over the W/C line with a segment of worm on the hook which got me an 8oz skimmer straight away but only a 4oz skimmer followed a few minutes later I tried dead maggot on the hook on both longer lines but again only another same skimmer so I topped them both up & went back down under the tree this time on the longer line rig set a few inches off the deck, I had another good run of small roach before it went a bit quite & I thought some bigger was present so switched back to fishing on the deck with double caster, I was right a few bubbles appeared before I had a Tench just over 2lb, nothing bigger followed just the odd chunky roach among the smaller size fish.

Back to the 9mt pole & this time I had a skimmer around a 1lb followed again by a smaller 6oz fish but couldn't get a bite over the line I had fed dead reds, I took to long to get indications of fish at 9mts on either bits of worm of caster so again I tried the short lines, I couldn't get a anything In-front of me & could only muster the small roach in my left with the topkit rig over hemp & casters & most of the action seemed to be by the tree for the first few hours, I did manage a monster Perch on single caster & just as I was telling Chris how big it was he looked around just in time for it to shed the hook!" I managed another one about 40minutes later pushing 2lb but the other was bigger for sure, In the last two hours I began to get signs of better fish on my 9mt line with a few bubbles appearing as well as the odd bubble down under the tree, I went back on the shorter lined rig with a piece of worm & had a better 3lb Tench before it went quite again so with 90mins to go decided to try the 9mt lines again.

I had another 1lb skimmer straight away, Then 5mins later I had a flyer" over 2lb, This disturbed thing a little so re-fed it & had another go under the tree with double caster, I was glad I did as I had a 3lb Tench as soon as I went in, Had another of similar size the next dob in before losing another bigger Tench in the inside bank on my left!", I managed another 2lb plus fish shortly after before the roach returned so fed it a bit heavier & went back out to 9mts on the worm. I had a slightly smaller flyer" First put-in again before a couple of 1lb samples followed then the carp arrived" I managed another 3lb Tench down the edge but only another 1lb skimmer on double caster at 9mts & some small roach on the dead maggot line to my right before the all out was called, After taking approx. 10lb of Roach in the first four hours with the odd bonus I thought with the good late run off bonus fish off both lines later in the day had put my weight up to about 30lb? I was first to weigh & was pleased to finish up with just over 36lb of silvers, After a slow few hours catching bits the better fish put a look in & it turned into a really enjoyable days fishing, I fed all but a handful of my two pints of casters most of which went down towards the tree, I only had a palmful left at the end & really I could of done with another half pint as I'm sure I would of at least had another Tench as it wouldn't take them long to mop up what I had fed". In the end I had around 12lb of roach to go with the better fish.

              My Catch.

Back at the results & top weight on the day went to Tony (Sorry didn't get your second name) who took 161lb of carp from peg 119 on Cambell on the bomb & pellet ahead of Chris Fox from peg 80 on Cary also catching on the bomb to finish with 156lb. My weight of Silvers was enough for top on the day ahead of Gary Etheridge who finished up with 32lb odd catching on the waggler with banded pellets. These cost cutters aren't about the money pick-up but the £20 I picked up paid for the day as far as the fishing went, Owe I did get the £1 off Chris as the carp didn't want to play ball at are end today really, He managed four but that wasn't going to be in contention today so cheers mate". I really nice days fishing & if we don't have a drastic change in the weather their should be some good weights come the silvers final a week Saturday. I'm back down here for an open match on Cary this Sunday with no fishing Saturday this week.

Full results -

 1st Tony (Bait-Tech Viaduct) peg 119 Cambell, 161lb 5oz.

2nd Chris Fox (Silverfox) peg 80 Cary, 156lb 6oz.

3rd Adrian Jeffery's (Avon Angling) peg 85 Cary, 142lb 9oz.

4th Paddy (Northen Boys) peg 115 Cambell, 141lb 12oz.

Silvers 

1st Dom Sullivan (Maver) peg 130 Cambell, 36lb 1oz.

2nd Gary Etheridge (P.I.Thatchers) peg 96 Cary, 31lb 5oz. 
    


2 comments:

  1. Silver Fox?? Where did that come from.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry didn't know who you fish under, put you in who from now on then??

    ReplyDelete