Sunday 2 March 2014

Viaduct teams of five round 4.

With Don picking me up this morning it was a trip to the wooden spoon for a breakfast sandwich to have on the way to the globe in Somerton for the draw, a quick chat to the rest of the team saw captain Chris Hook to do the team draw for us again, I got a feeling after today it will be down to someone else having a go as Chris hasn't had the dab hand this series so far, I was to be on lodge today with an overspill onto Cary Lake for 5 of the pegs so were do I end up? yep" 103 Cary!

Not what I fancied at all and the Thursday open had produced no carp at this end of the lake so that didn't bow well to beating many pegs on lodge with the fancied corner pegs expected to produce the best, The plus side was the wind was of are backs so my main attack would be the pole long at 16mts with maggot and caster over groundbait for silvers and the waggler to fish punched meat to start beyond the pole line in the hope of snaring a carp that might be lost" the pole line was three and a half feet deep so a so two rigs were assembled on 0.10-0.09 with a Mick Wilkinson 0.4g skimmer float and an 18 63-13, the waggler was a loaded 0.3g drake to an 0.15 hair stop hook length and two no.10 down the line to fish at dead depth.

For company today I had Thatchers Nicky Ewers on peg 104 although he was the start of the other section on Cary so after a quick chat it was down to the all in and I had planned to feed 6 balls containing a few casters,dead reds, and some pinkees on the long pole 16mt line although being as I had to break the pole down with the narrow bank behind me and the fear of dipping into Nick Chedzoys peg I got to five balls and felt I had been arm wrestling Mike Tyson' so knocked it on the head!, though I did have enough strength to fed my left hand swim at 14mts with some minced worm and pinkee cupped in loose, I did feed a half big pot of caster down to the next pallet in 3ft of water in case I had a chance of a late margin munter?.

Starting on the waggler with meat 20mins in and no signs for me of anyone chucking within the same area saw me switch to hair rigged corn and 5mins later a nice bite saw me connect with nothing' Another 20 bite less mins and only Tom Thick having a carp first put in (14lb") down the edge on the opposite bank we were all struggling and I was soon on the pole and first put in I had a 10oz skimmer on dead maggot, ten more mins and a switch to a single caster tipped with a floro pinkee saw me connect to another bigger skimmer of around two pounds, not a bad start as I fully expected the peg to get better as it went on, a couple of small roach saw me top the swim up with a small ball with caster and dead reds in before trying the 14mt line with a single red maggot but this only gave me two small roach so a change was in order.

Removing the hook length on the waggler I swapped it to 0.09 and an 18 490 to fish single caster beyond the pole line, by feeding small amounts of caster and waiting I caught and 8oz skimmer and a couple or roach but I new the bigger skimmers were around so went back to double caster on the pole at 16mts and another two pound skimmer was added 10 mins later but you didn't seem to catch anything but small fish after so I found it best to top up with another small ball and try something else, despite trying over the worm line at 14mts and a couple of roach on the waggler I found it best just to sit and wait for a bite at 16mts swapping between baits on the hook and top ups with small balls saw me add another good skimmer and some smaller samples including an 8oz fish on the whistle for a final total of 10lb of silvers, but it wasn't going to be good team points despite beating the pegs to my left in my section, all but two people had caught carp out of the 14 pegs on Lodge with Dave Romain was top weight with 113lb odd,  teams standings show the freeze outfit are winning overall with the last match next week my final match with me on match lake and five on the overspill on spring which next time I wouldn't mind being on"

individual results -

1st Chris Sandford (Amigos) 166lb 8oz ,Cambell 115

2nd Mark Williams (Thatchers Anglio Welsh) 160lb , Cambell 116

3rd Dave Romain (Viaduct Select) 113lb 2oz , Lodge 64

4th tony Rixon (Avon Angling) 101lb 11oz Lodge 56

Silvers -

1st Clint Wojtyle (Avon Angling) 25lb 6oz , Spring 12

2nd John Harvey (Thatchers Anglio Welsh) 24lb 9oz.                     

    

No comments:

Post a Comment