Saturday 20 September 2014

Emerald Pool Pleasure Session.

With My Saturday Silvers League On the horizon I Thought I would take a trip to emerald pool in West Huntpill, Somerset, To at least makes some rigs up ready and get a general idea as to how it was fishing, After a trip to Thyer's Tackle on route to pick up a couple of pints of caster and a few maggots and a breakfast with Simon Price Who was also fishing the league we made are way to the fishery, With the weather still being mild it was going to be interesting to see if we could get amongst the silvers through the large head of carp which also inhabit the lake and from the amount swimming around were still very active, We chose to fish two pegs on the far bank next to each other as there were other anglers pitched up on the car park bank, Going back to last years results this was the better area being slightly deeper at around 5ft as the lake shallows up to around half this depth at the far end. 
 
I planned to fish one line with expanders over micro pellet at around 9mts and caster over groundbait to my left on my top kit plus one section, I set up a 0.4g PB1 float on 0.13-0.11 with an 18 PR434 hook for the pellet line at 9mts and a 4x12 Chanti with the same line and hook and last of all a 3x8 Chanti on 0.11-010 to fish shallow with caster with a 20 PR434 hook, I started by cupping in two balls of fishmeal groundbait containing some casters and a small amount of chopped worm on my short line and started by feeding a small amount of micro pellet on the longer line and trying over the top with a 4mm expander, It wasn't long before I had a couple of small hybrids followed by 4 tench to a 1lb but it wasn't quick by any means, I had been flicking casters in by hand on the short line and after seeing a few swirls when I fed after 30mins on the longer line I decided to have a go on the shallow rig where I had been feeding with single caster on the hook, I was into fish straight away which were mainly rudd to 8oz but after a wile I began to catch some nice hybrids and skimmers up to a 1lb, by continually altering the depth I kept in contact with the fish for most of the day mainly catching between 2-3ft, I did try the longer line a few times when things went quiet and although I caught some more small tench and skimmers it was a lot slower so the shallow rig on the short line was the way to go, Interestingly despite trying the deck rig on the short line I couldn't catch on it" Simon had decided to try a meat, pellet and corn approach today and was confident enough after a few practice sessions on here to take me on for a £1, Well all I can say Is I was pretty much laughing after 15mins as he had successfully coxed the carp into playing BALL!" And after an hour of ribbing he proceeded to venture around to my swim and throw the quid into my keepnet which owner Alan Had kindly let us use for my blog" Well I've never seen a grown man throw in the towel so quick! lol. As it turned out I had know chance of retrieving it after taking my nets out as I finished with what we estimated to be around 70lb.
 A Great Day"
  Simon did also end up catching some fish shallow after I gave him some caster and did chuck £2 my way for the lesson" Joking aside he ended with 30lb odd which is still a great weight of just silvers with no F1's, Crusian or fantails" added to are nets,
 Simon not looking".
My good friend Darren Greenwood paid us a visit with his son Declan, Who was soon keen enough to have a go and happily managed a couple of nice skimmers (Much To Simons Disgust") To add to my nets So captured him in action.
 Declan and Dad".
 All in all I cant wait to get the league started and I'm sure we will all enjoy the cracking head of silver fish in this venue. Roll On".
 
 

            
   

No comments:

Post a Comment