Sunday 14 September 2014

Summerhayes Open Longs Lake.

After the usual breakfast at hilltops I made my way to the fishery in plenty of time for the 10am draw, Not surprized to see the numbers had gone up again to 27 anglers booked in, I had a quick look at Sellicks lake where Pete had a hose pipe running into peg 1 to top the level up a bit and saw this carp was happy to be in it!
  With the air temp lower now in the mornings I though the lake maybe a bit different than last time I fished it, I wasn't to worried about the where I would end up but hoped to avoid the lower numbers if possible as Pete the owner calls it cyanide Straight" for some reason? It wasn't to be and back to reality as I ended up on peg 3, Brian Shanks Had draw peg 2 and with peg 1 being empty I thought he would have a few fish,


Last time I was in this area I caught most of my fish tight over to the far bank on worm so made 2 x rigs up on 0.13-0.11 and an 18 PR36 hook using the new Drennan AS4 floats which have a spring eye and a thickish bristle ideal for the worm, my main concern was the water was down more than last time and I only had about 1ft tight to the bank'
 A 4x12 Chanti was used with the same line to fish down towards the pallet peg 4 where I planned to fish and feed meat,
I was even more concerned to find this was the deepest part of my peg so planned to use the same rig to fish in the open water at 13mts with maggot over micro pellet.

At the all in I cupped some meat and hemp a metre in-front the pallet and began with a worm on the hook tight across feeding some micro via a cad pot over the top, 15mins in and I was already getting worried as I hadn't had a sniff so switched to soft 4mm pellet on the hook which saw me have a fish first dob' A 1oz RUDD!'  By Now Brian had had a couple of skimmers and a small carp short on pellet but was also struggling as was everyone else I could see" A try on the 13mt line saw a crucian of 8oz a couple more small rudd so that was a no go, No signs on the meat line so it was back across to the far bank, Out of the blue I had a 3lb carp on the worm then nothing so it was frustrating to say the least' I had been pinging some 4mm hard pellet further across towards peg 4 and after a wile tried a swinging rig set 6inches deep over the top with a hard 6mm on the hook, a fish straight away of 3lb then I bumped one 5mins later and that was the end of that!

I would like to say things improved in the second half of the match but it just didn't happen" I Ended up with 6 carp for 14lb and 1lb of silvers despite trying allsorts though the match just to try and induce a bite! the two anglers below me chose not to trouble the scales and Brian also finished the day with 15lb and that was from a peg I did expect a few so to say it was hard is an understatement" Around the other side of the lake Bob Gullitt on peg 34 had a good day catching 30 small carp for 62lb which nearly doubled the weight of 2nd place Rob Wotton, Silvers went the way of Mark Broomsgrove from peg 32 with 13lb odd so it looks like all the fish were in this area" lol, A disappointing day for me and many others but that's the way it goes sometimes, I have fished this area in the middle of winter and had a few fish but it seemed devoid at times today.
 Winner Bob Gullitt.
 Silvers Winner Mark Broomsgrove.
 

                                                               Full Results -

1st Bob Gullitt (Blackmore Vale M.G) peg 34, 62lb 13oz.

2nd Rod Wotton (Clevedon.A.A) peg 18, 31lb 9oz.

3rd Alvin Jones (Alvin Car Care) peg 27, 26lb 10oz.

4th Kev Perry (Sensas Thyers) peg 9, 26lb 5oz.

5th Andy Hembrow (ClevedonA.A.) peg 8, 25lb 13oz.

                                                                   Silvers -

1st Mark Broomsgrove (Sensas Thyers) peg 32, 13lb 11oz.

2nd Nigel Wickham (Summerhayes) peg 33, 10lb 3oz. 


               

No comments:

Post a Comment