Sunday 20 December 2015

Shiplate Farm Xmas Match (Hawthorns & Main Lake).

After having a Xmas Booze up with the lads from work yesterday I had know idea what state I would be in when I woke this morning' fortunately I did take it easy & didn't stay out all-hours so was still on the ball, I arrived in plenty of time to have a free cuppa as its only 2mins from my home' Their were 28 of us fishing today so the match would be spread over Hawthorns & the Main Lake & I fancied the main lake to produce the overall winner from either noted pegs 1 or 15 but you never know? I let owner Steve's Helper Roy draw for me today as last time he did it for me I ended up on peg 1 of the main lake & wouldn't be disappointed to have it again. It wasn't to be though as he drew me peg 7 Hawthorns smack in the middle' I didn't mind it to be honest as not having fished here for a while I was looking forward to the change. I left the rods in the car as it would be an out & out pole attack again today, It was just over 14mts to the far bank vegetation and plumbing up found about 4ft of water close to the stick-ups so set up a 4x12 chanti on 0.11-0.10 & an 18 808 hook to fish a couple of different areas across,
 
 
I only had time to set up another rig being a 0.4g AS1 on 0.13-0.11 & an 16 808 hook to fish at 12mts left in the open water which was nearly 6ft deep which would double for down my inside edges which was the same depth.
For company I had snake lake expert young Louis Jones next to me on peg 6 who was the resent overall winner of the teams of 3 event held at the venue would was going to be in-tune with the lake & hard to beat, Behind us on the main lake was venue resident Steve (Peanut) Howell on peg 5 who I offered to place a longer pole roller out for him before I remembered it wouldn't be needed as he never fishes beyond 11mts!".  At the all-in I fed a good pot of corn on the open water 13mt line, Fed a small ball of micros & some dead red maggots at 14mts to my right and began the day with a 4mm expander on the hook just cad potting a few micros over the top. It didn't take long for a bite & after 10mins I had a common over 7lb in the net" Great Start', Expecting a bit more of the same I was surprised to see the next hour produced just one lost flying" fish' another foul hooker & a couple of 8oz skimmers, Louis had also had an early carp across but was also struggling to add anything, I had a look on the 13mt line with corn on the hook but it didn't produce a bite so I continued to keep trying across, I managed another nice fish on two dead reds fished a couple of inches off the deck, but that was out of the blue' I had been feeding the 13mt regularly every 30mins & At the halfway point I gave it another go and after a few seconds the rig flew under & I missed it! That was it as I couldn't get another bite here. Back across I managed a 4lb fish on corn off the left hand 14mt line but as yet couldn't get a bite to the right, I decided to turn this into amore positive line & fed a good amount of micros & a few grains of corn, I had a quick look down the edges but didn't waste to much time here as Louis was already fishing here but had only added a small carp, Going into the last hour things had been a real struggle for most & I couldn't here much being caught, I really expected to have some fish off the 13mt corn line but all it produced was another missed bite' The best line turned out to be the line I had decided to feed more positive as I managed another 2 good carp before the end both on 4mm expander fished at dead depth. Lewis had struggled & only added another small carp & nobody at are end was admitting to much so I was hoping to sneak at section win at least, The main lake was weighed in first & the top weight went to Russ Pecker from peg 15 with 35lb odd, The top weight when the scales arrived on are lake was 24lb odd but my 5 carp went 34lb added to my 3lb odd of silvers gave me a total of 37lb odd, ouis Struggled today finishing the day with 11lb but Rich Hawkins was admitting to over 50lb on the end peg 1 & Proved right to win the day with 64lb odd catching shallow with bread on the hook down in the corner so well done to him. Back at the results I was pleased to find out my weight was enough to take 2nd on the day picking up another £50 along with a £1 off Louis, Peanut & Pagey', Although Owners Steve & Carol did a great job of supplying us with rolls & Mince pies ect after the match but it was a bit disappointing not having anything festive to take home to the wife, You'll be surprised just how pleased they are to see a tin of sweets or a bottle of their favourite tipple land in their lap, I don't think it hurts to give the chance for everyone to go home with something or even arrange a raffle after the match by increasing the pools by £5 or £10 as its better to home with something. A hard days fishing really but those few bites proved worthwhile again, I expect that will be it until after Christmas with the next planned trip on the 28th & 29th of December back to Viaduct for the two day silvers pairs match with Donald, It's time to do my statistics for the year which I will add to the bog this week.

Full Results -
1st Rich Hawkins (Wormheads) peg 1 Hawthorns, 64lb 8oz.
2nd Dom Sullivan (Maver) peg 7 Hawthorns, 37lb 12oz.
3rd Russ Pecker (Thatchers Tackle) peg 15 Main lake, 35lb 2oz.
4th Julian Pinkett (Wormheads) peg 7 Main Lake, 32lb 4oz.
5th John Hawkins (Wormheads) peg 4 Main Lake, 29lb 14oz.
6th Roy Ede (Shiplate Farm) peg 11 Main Lake, 29lb 4oz.
Silvers -
John Page (Weston Angling Centre) peg 13 Main Lake, 12lb 8oz.
 
 
 
               
 
    
 
       

No comments:

Post a Comment