Saturday 27 February 2016

Viaduct Fishery Saturday Open (Cambell Lake).

With not much else on & Saturday traveling partner Lewis Jones having a weekend off I choose to book into Viaduct which made sense as I'm also on this lake tomorrow in the 4th round of the teams of five winter league & I felt the way my lucks been lately the chances are if I draw a poor one today then I'm sure to be sat on um tomoz!"? It was a quick stop off for a warming breakfast before I arrived in plenty of time. I decided to go for a wander around the lake before the draw & it was noticeable that the far side was a lot chillier than the near bank with a slight chilling breeze from the north east blowing into it, Pegs 112 - 114 seem to be the real hot" area to draw at the moment as between then they have thrown up the winner for the last god knows how many matches' & they happened to have the wind off there backs making for a pleasant day should I be fortunate to draw here"?.

I let a few slip in front of me before me in the queue before finally taking my pick, 114 had been drawn straight away & I was praying for one of the others in the area' Nope, I was on the far bank peg 129 below the spit,
One peg away from where I was on my last visit when I was on peg 128 the other side & apart from winning the bank that day didn't put much in the net but had to watch the guy opposite go on to win the match" peg 112 won the match on Thursday which was opposite me today but I was hoping with the wind blowing at us the fish may have ventured further to my side of the lake this time?. I had Ziggy Slozinski? next to me on peg 131 but already he was challenging me to a £1 side bet" which I couldn't refuse as he ain't had any off me on previous occasions! Lol.  

I didn't rule out fishing for silvers today but my main attack would be for the carp, First out was the normal bomb' rod for various baits, And a waggler set up to fish through the water, I set up a 0.3g pencil float on 0.15-0.13 & an 16 Silver fish pellet hook to fish at 14mts slightly off to my left where I planned to fish mainly corn over corn, & finally a 4x12 Chanti on 0.13-0.11 & an 18 PR434 hook to fish over casters at 12mts just off to my right. I did plan to feed worm & casters here but after I opened the sack I purchased a few weeks ago I soon found they had all gone over" so had to bin them' That was a waste of £20 then..! so a caster line it was". Just before the all-in I decided to have a cuppa but had to compromise as I had forgot the flask cup, I'm not sure why it didn't quite taste the same? perhaps it was because the only thing I could put any in was a cupping kit pot!
 Tasty"
  

I started the day feeding a good helping of corn on the 14mt line & a good handful of casters at 12mts before starting the day on the bomb & popped up bread. After 10mins I had just a small liner so it was time to try different baits to try & trigger a response? A few maggots on a longer line didn't get any better, I tried corn on the hair but again only had a small liner after leaving it for over 20mins, By now we were over an hour into the match, Ziggy had managed a decent perch on a small feeder with maggot & Nigel Easton on peg 112 had started to catch a few carp by casting further across into empty peg 113, (No surprize their then"), No matter what I tried on the hook & casting as far across to my left as I dare I just couldn't get a sign from carp not even the odd liner now so things were looking grim'. After just over 90mins it was time to have a quick look on my pole lines, Starting on corn at 14mts I wasn't to surprised when I didn't move after 10mins, I was a bit more hopeful when I switched to the 12mt line with double caster on the hook, But even after switching to maggot on the hook I still couldn't get a bite. As expected the wind had increased the minute the match started which meant fishing the waggler was going to be awkward but after seeing Nigel catch three in as many casts I had to give it ago, I started shallow but it was pushing through at a rate of knots' & even going over depth still didn't produce any signs. To be honest they day didn't get any better' I re-fed the pole lines every 30mins or so hoping for a few fish to switch on later in the day but I never had a bite on either of them! Ok I did feed them positively for this time of the year but I did expect to at east hook a tench or a few skimmers over it later in the day,  Nigel looked favourite to win the day over on peg 112 again as later in the day he even managed some carp down his inside edge so had put odd fish in his net from the off.
 
Ziggy was nearly singing on peg 131 as his few silvers was looking certain for the quid side bet, No such Luck mate" with 20mins to go I had a proper wrap around on the tip with double corn on the hook which resulted I a decent sized carp' AT LAST". even better Ziggy hadn't noticed me slip it into the net & up until the whistle he had me down as a blank'. His face was a picture when after weighing his 5lb odd of bits he realised I still had a net in soon to plonk a 9lb plus carp on the scales' Ching Ching" Lol. I think he retreated to his peg swearing but I wasn't sure as it was all in polish!". As expected Nigel won the day with 93lb odd but the second best weight on the day was only 32lb odd so a very hard day for most,
 Winner Nigel Easton.
 
The silvers weights faired slightly better with Rob Eagle taking top spot with 22lb odd ahead off Roland Lucas who had 20lb odd off of peg 111.

Well, Its down to Captain Chris to draw tomorrow so please, please, please, please, please bloody draw me from 112-115..!". Its not much to ask is it?.

Full Results -

1st Nigel Easton (Amigo's) peg 112, 93lb 10oz.

2nd Rob Eagle (Viaduct) peg 123, 32lb 3oz.

3rd Clive B (Viaduct) peg 129, 30lb 3oz.

Silvers -

1st Rob Eagle , peg 123, 22lb 9oz. 


                

No comments:

Post a Comment