Sunday 14 February 2016

Viaduct Fishery Teams Of Five Winter League (All Lakes).

Back to Viaduct for round Three of this Popular League & no matter what it was my turn to fish Spring Lake with no chance of me being in a split section on any other lake & I was looking forward to it as you can usually catch a few of the lakes bigger skimmers from most pegs if the carp fail to play ball" With Donald picking me up  as normal it was off to Hilltops as are first call for something warm to eat. What was noticeable when we arrived was the chilling breeze from the north east so we soon had the gortex on" As I warned on my last blog here it was up to me to do the team draw today but I was feeling confident as my draw hand had to improve' As Don had paid the team pool earlier in the week it was my turn to go first, I pulled out sequence 6 meaning we were on the pegs as followed, Steve Segar on Cambell 115, Captain Chris Hook on 81 Cary the other side of the spit, Young Lewis Had the overspill section from Lodge lake ending up on peg 76 Cary, (We haven't had one of are anglers on Lodge Lake yet") Donald was on peg 45 on Match next to where I was last time & Me? Peg Bloody 7 again" as I had it on this lake in this league last year & the year before" In the corner of the lake with a tree in the water right next to me, It sounds ideal but the problem is you only have a small area to work with out to 16mts without getting cut off by the other anglers
 The famous Viaduct.
& the closest to the tree I could get was only a couple of metres".
The thing here is though if their are a few carp willing to feed under the over hanging branches the next problem you face is getting them out", Ryan Shipp had this peg last match & the score stood at 6 - 1, To The Carp!" Great...

 I cant put the photos up as I left the camera in the van so will add the pics in the week to explain the peg better for those who don't know, Anyhow no Messing today two top kits with 16 red hydro elastic with an 0.2g AS1 on 0.19 & A size 16 Pellet hook set a couple of feet deep for Dobbing bread under the branches, A 0.2g AS2 to fish on the deck under the branches on 0.21-0.19 & the same hook as before, I set up a 0.3g AS1 on 0.19-0.17 to fish at 8mts off the end of the tree & finally a 0.3g pencil float to fish at 14mts on 0.13-0.11 & an 18 PR434 hook just in-case I could temp so big skimmers to swim half the lake to find me as I haven't seen then caught here before".

I started the match be feeding a pinch bait in the small gap I had by the tree, feed around 4 pieces of corn & 6mm Cubed meat on the 8mt line off the tree, Fed a good helping of corn at 13mts in the open water slightly left & a decent amount of casters at 14mts slightly right. I planned to start the match here with a piece of corn on the hook just to see if I could pinch any decent mug' fish which may be in the area but the sun was out coupled by the breeze meant I couldn't see a thing in-front of me to start with so that was ruled out". I decided to try the 8mts line to begin with but after 10mins, I had chance to try the 14mt line as the breeze had dropped. After a few minutes I had to revert back to the 8mt line as again I couldn't see the float,
With corn on the hook we had just approached the 30min mark when I had an un-miscible bite & soon found myself attached to a decent carp which I gave no chance of steering me back toward the tree & was netted after a brief battle at around 10lb' Now the pressure was off a little but I still had plenty to do, I re-fed a small amount back under the tree & gave the 8mt line another 15mins before re-feeding the same as I started. It was time to try under the branches & as I was shipping the rig in underneath the only thing going through my head was the song "Highway To The Danger Zone".
I decided to start on corn as it had already accounted for one fish but after 10mins all I had was a few small dinks on the float & a liner from something better but the water was very clear & being so close I could watch my bait going a fair way down'. I switched to fishing bread at half depth but that still failed to produce. I felt that their was a fish in the area as when I went on the deck I was getting fish brushing against the line, Rather than un-settle them I rested the swim & tried again on the 8mt line. I tried corn , bread , meat & maggot on the hook but couldn't get another sniff, I tried the 13mt corn' swim but know bites followed & I still couldn't see the 14mts to see if anything had settled over the casters.

It was time to try the rig back under the branches & after a couple of minutes I had another liner before the float shot under & again a good fish was on' I just shoved the tip of the pole under the water & Pulled" & it was in the net faster than the first" at around the same size as the first.. It had just turned 1pm so I still had over a couple more hours to add some more? I rested the swim again trying the 13mt corn line & the 8mt line with various baits but couldn't get any signs of fish, 30mins later I was back under the tree fully expecting some indications but 30mins later I hadn't had a knock, Nick Derry on peg 8 who was fishing the long pole down his inside bank toward the other side of the tree had netted two carp the first one he had was nigh on 20lb" & the second I took a picture of was well into double figures'
. I Just couldn't get signs of fish after catching one under the tree which had me thinking I either caught the only one sat my side or I had spooked any fish back under the tree out of reach due to the clarity of the water? Either way it wasn't happening. Going into the last hour I could finally see where I had been feeding casters at 14mts so decided to have a look with double caster on the hook sure I would catch a skimmer or two after leaving it for four hours' I had a 2oz roach straight away, one dropped off the next put-in then 5mins without a bite saw me scrap that'. Concentrating on the 8mt line & under the tree for the last 30mins had me hoping of a late fish but it didn't happen. Funny though as Nick on peg 8 had managed one more carp though the day then had three in three put-ins before the all-out which happened on this peg on the last match! nice to see I had to be right in the vicinity to watch someone catching again". At the weigh-in I think he won the section with 69lb, Not bad for six fish'. Their were a couple of other carp weights & the best silver weight today came off are lake with Chris Davis taking 38lb of skimmers from peg 17. As far as the winner went Ivan Oakley had a great day from peg 113 on Cambell ending the day with 152lb odd ahead of Chris jones who was next door & finished the day with 145lb. As far as the team results go Moaning Maggots won on the day with 73pts But Viaduct all-stars are leading the way after three rounds with 190pts ahead of Second Time Lucky on 182pts. We had a better result team wise today from a draw we didn't really fancy on paper finishing the day with 55pts & ninth on the day, Steve manage to sneak in the frame finishing 6th from peg 115 but had the bulk of his fish in an hour period" Cambell Lake for me next time but one things for sure they wont be volunteering me for the draw!" Might Be at acorn next Saturday taking somebobys place in the last round of the Clevedon.A.A series but not sure yet on plans for Sunday so will have to see what's on?

Full Results -

1st Ivan Oakley peg 113 Cambell, 152lb 2oz.

2nd Chris Jones peg 114 Cambell, 145lb 3oz.

3rd Marc Jones Peg 85 Cary, 112lb 9oz.

4th Mark Harper peg 102 Cary, 105lb 11oz.

5th Mash peg 53 Lodge, 100lb 2oz.

6th Steve Seager peg 115 Cambell, 97lb 9oz.

Silvers -

 1st Chris Davis Peg 17 Spring, 38lb 1oz.

 2nd Chris fox peg 15 Spring, 29lb 13oz.

 3rd Andy Power peg  71 Lodge, 21lb 4oz.

             

          

     

No comments:

Post a Comment