Sunday 15 June 2014

Acorn Fishery Saturday Open,

With the weather being so nice for a change it was a last dash over to acorn for the Clevedon A.A open match on paddock lake, 12 fishing today which seems to be the same story on a Saturday at most fishery's which is a shame but never the less it meant the bonus peg was in today and after Andy France chose what peg it would be I told him I would be on it today and low and behold I drew it" peg 7, I drew this peg a few matches ago and had a few fish but today I really fancied it as the wind was blowing into peg 6 and with a nice ripple on the water I fancied to catch shallow and on the deck with hard 6mm pellet, Two rigs were made up to fish shallow at 2 and 3ft and a 4x14 rig for the deck in 5ft of water and another rig to fish at 10mts back towards peg 8 down the margin in 4ft of water, my faith was in hard pellet today so I started the match on the deck rig with a 6mm feeding 4mm over the top by hand, A couple of liners saw a switch to the 2ft rig but only one carp in 40mins and 3 roach" it wasn't looking good, Peg 6 was also struggling tho Glen Calvert on peg 9 was getting a few as was Lee Waller on peg 10 and the pegs on the island were doing well on the feeder to the far bank, I kept swapping between the deck rig and at different depths shallow but I just couldn't string anything together and my inside swim failed to produce a bite so I chose to switch tight over to the far bank at 13mts in 18inches of water with a soft 4mm expander as I couldn't get a bite on hard pellet and although I had the odd fish they didn't want to settle, I did have a disaster after hooking one though as I realised I hadn't put my top 5 on properly and no sooner had I noticed off it popped across the lake with the carp still attached!" Quick thinking saw me grab the landing net and pushed the net over the end section slowly easing it back towards the bank, It was working until I went to reach for it by my keepnet and it took off across the lake again" This time being out off reach I had no choice  but to take the plunge to everyone's delight' so made it worth wile by doing an attempted dive from on top of my seat box! Glen did score me 5/10 as the landing wasn't brill but I did manage to retrieve it along with the fish still attached".  I'm beginning to think I should of been born a mermaid as I seem to spend more time in the lake than on it! By now I had lost all interest to be honest and after last weeks disaster when the wife suggested we go out for the evening I called it a day with an hour to go, Team mate Glen's swim seemed to get better as the day went on and he did really well catching mainly on the deck with a stiff paste and was admitting to 80lb so I had him down as a sure fire winner although Lee Waller was getting a few late fish on peg 10 but I wasn't sure what was caught down the far end of the lake,
 Glen Calvert.
I certainly felt I got it wrong today ending up with around 30lb and felt I would of been better off fishing short into the wind with paste and although I'm not a lover of it I will be taking it to future matches for sure. I Agree with others though its sometimes good to have a bad day and make mistakes as you can learn a lot from it, And by taking an interest in what other anglers are doing to catch well can help you have a future
plan off attack rather than hoping something will happen. Off to Viaduct fishery next Saturday for the Maver Match This qualifier and at £50 a ticket and fishery pools its not a cheap day out Hoping for a good peg but will still attack where ever I draw as you never know what can happen, One things for sure I will be checking my sections are together properly".        
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment