Sunday 22 June 2014

Shiplate Farm Westpool Lake,

As the weather was nice and Shiplate Farm being on my doorstep a quick Phone call to fishery owner carol saw me booked in for there latest open match, Only 12 fishing today so Steve & Carol were paying the top two plus top silvers which made sense. After a nice free" cuppa and a chat with the rest draw time came seeing  me ending up on peg 13 towards the far end of the lake, Apart from the first 5 pegs the average with tight to the far bank is around 16mts but with no wind I chose to go and clear a swim as tight to the bank as I could get if need be.
 After pluming up I still had 2ft plus tight to the bank where I had cleared a gap so set up two rigs, one being my favourite chanti 4x12 and a Preston 4x10 PB1 to fish as shallow as a few inches as there is no such rule as how shallow you can fish as long as you don't use floating baits I had around 10inches of water tight against the bank towards the empty peg 12,
 
To my right I had the rope for the aerator at 4mts so chose to fish the bottom of the shelf this side in around 4ft of water with 6mm meat over meat and hemp,
Company today I had Andy Light on peg 14 and Andy France on 11 who I had a quid with for the fun of it, at the all in I cupped a palm full of hemp and 6mm meat onto the 4mt deeper swim to my left and threw a few cubes of meat down my right hand swim tight to the bank, I started the match Across on the deck with a cube of 6mm meat but after 45 mins of missed bites and a gugeon?" (Spelt wrong I know) I new things weren't right, By now both Andy's either side had a few fish a piece so I was already playing catch up, To early to try my inside lines I switched to the shallow rig set 6inches deep as tight to the far bank I could get with a 6mm cube of meat and began catapulting the same over the top, to start with I had a few 10oz chub and a couple of 2lb carp so at least I began to put something in the net, The next hour saw me add a couple of 4lb fish along with some more chub and from what I could see nobody was running away with it so all to play for. I did try my inside deeper swim with no luck by now the ducks had switched on to me feeding meat over  and had taken residence in my far bank swim" It wasn't a problem to start with but as the day went on they managed to pull the grass down off the bank meaning it ended up impossible for me to fish across without hooking something and not being able to get the rig in properly" I did manage to catch a few tight down my right hand edge again on the meat fished just off the bottom but after a couple of fish they soon spooked and I was left cursing the fact I couldn't catch a few more over, On the whistle I felt I was a few fish off of Andy who caught most of his fish over doing pretty much the same except for him feeding 6mm pellet over the top with meat on the hook, At the weigh-in I had 6lb odd of chub with 50lb of carp for my 56lb total, Andy was next to weigh and ended the day a couple of fish in front on 67lb and there was a few 50lb weights so a close match where a few fish made a difference,
 Andy France.
 
On the plus side I didn't lose anything today but it was a shame I couldn't use my far swim to pinch a couple more fish as Russ Pecker fresh from his pairs win at Whiteacres where they picked up over a £1000 between them (well done mate) nicked 2nd spot on the day with 59lb.  No coin back this weekend but its been nice to be able to go fishing at the moment and not to worry about the weather for a change, looking forward to spend some time on the River Huntspill in the next couple of months, Back to a bit of proper' fishing as far as my opinion goes, What a difference a bite from a skimmer can be to a hungry carp' For a start you have to hit those bites rather than worrying about losing your rod in the lake if your not looking!..  
 My catch.
Top silvers today went to Carl with 20lb odd of mainly skimmers and roach caught down the track on maggot,
 Carls Silvers Weight.
 Full results -
1st  Andy France (Cadbury Angling) peg 11, 67lb.
2nd Russ Peck (Thatchers Tackle) peg 7, 59lb.
3rd Dom Sullivan (Maver/Cadbury Angling) peg 13, 56lb
4th Steve Howell (Shiplate) peg 2 53lb.
Silvers -
Carl (Shiplate) peg 4, 20lb
 
               

   

No comments:

Post a Comment