Tuesday 26 August 2014

Acorn Fishery Tuesday Tenner.

With an extra day off after the bank holiday I decided to take a trip to Acorn but halfway there I was already having second thoughts as it was lashing down with rain and was still the same come draw time meaning I would get wet". There were 15 fishing today including a few welsh lads who have been making it there favourite haunt for a Tuesday, I let everyone else draw before me and there were only two pegs left when it came to my turn one of which was for Aide baker as he was running late and I just can believe how often at fisheries I draw the same peg time after time ending up on peg 14 for the 3rd time in 4 matches and the only other time it wasn't pegged! For those that know the fishery its on the long straight and 9/10 times the best weights here come off end peg 12 which was occupied by Simon Price.

Gabriel came to the draw today to pass on his broken 13mt section from yesterday' Still beside himself for letting his net slip in on are pairs match! but I told him not to let it bother him after all its only fishing". Back to my peg and I had know choice to set up in the driving rain as my well used brolley was at home but as I said before I rather wouldn't use one as they get in the way, I was tempted just to fish for silvers as the wind was off are backs and the welsh lads had draw well with the wind blowing into there inside swims where a lot of the fish had been caught lately and these guys have it sorted from what I've heard of late, And with are bank being sheltered in the margins and a bit shallower I didn't fancy it for many fish with the lower temp and the colour clearer than my last visit. Never the less I assembled a 0.4g rig on 0.17-0.15 with a 16 PR478 to fish in 18inches of water for this line,
 And a 0.3g AS3 Drennan float to fish tight over against the trimmed far bank which happened to be the same depth.
My last rig was a 4x14 Chanti to fish the bottom of the far shelf in 5ft of water, 0.13-0.11 and a 16 808 which would target the lakes silvers if my far line failed to produce.

At the start I fed a ball of damp micro at the bottom of the far shelf and began to feed tight to the inside bank with hard 4mm pellet which was how I ended up catching last time I was present here'.. Starting over in my usual style feeding a few micros and trying a 4mm expander on the hook tight to the far bank I had a 2lb carp straight away, I re-baited and shipped my pole out a few sections before pausing to feed my inside swim only to have a 4lb carp snatch my bait" Result!.

On the hour mark I was up to 8 fish mostly around 3lb but started to get problems with foul hookers and was taking longer to get the fish to settle again even trying other baits on the hook such as dead maggot or corn failed to produce  so I switched to the rig with maggot at the bottom of the shelf, First put-in I foul hooked and lost a carp and with ten minutes bite less I had to try something else as there were no signs of fish in my margin. I got a new rig out to fish the bottom of the near shelf to my left in 4ft of water where I fed 4 balls of groundbait I had left over from yesterday with some 4mm pellet added and left it to settle pinching a couple more fish tight over.

When I went on it I had a 5lb fish first put in before 3 foul hookers followed" I was getting know were fast and it seemed the only place I could catch was tight to the far bank but it was slow and I could see a few people catching on the opposite bank every time I looked over' I was cursing myself for not solely targeting the silvers as I new realistically I couldn't have competed with the carp today and I've draw this peg enough to know what its capable of.! At least the rain had stopped by the end of the match giving me time to dry everything off before the scales arrived, My total weight went 62lb odd and although it was a long way off the pace it was still the top weight along my bank up to the bridge. As expected the welsh lads took the top spots today from the pegs in the 30's again catching with their favoured method of catching tight to the near bank with maggot on the hook, Giles Cochrane coming out on top with a cracking 288lb" All caught down his inside margins with maggot over 4kg of groundbait. I never had a sign tight to my inside edge probably because with the colour dropping out slightly and it was to close to me but I couldn't get into the bank anywhere else, I don't think on are side anybody caught here so it probably wouldn't have made a difference if I could have. Might re-turn Saturday for another try depending on the weather but will be heading for Viaduct soon to get some time in ahead of the silvers league starting in October.

                                                   Full Results - 

1st Giles Cochrane (Newport) peg 34, 288lb 4oz. 

2nd Lee Pesticcio (Mosella) peg 38, 141lb 10oz.

3rd Rod Jones (Newport) peg 22, 126lb 13oz.

4th Aide Baker (Clevedon A.A) peg 36, 108lb 14oz.

Silvers - Mike Wilson (Over 50's) peg 33 10lb.


               

No comments:

Post a Comment