Sunday 17 August 2014

Summerhayes Open Match.

After A change of plan this weekend from taking a trip to Hillview and after booking myself and Gabriel Skarba into the bank holiday two day pairs together next weekend we thought it would be a better idea to have a look in advance. I travelled down with Nick Harvey and after a nice breakfast in hilltops cafĂ© we arrived in plenty of time for the 10am draw. There were 25 fishing today which is a good turnout and the match was to be spread over Sellicks And 8 pegs on Lily Pool but with this lake not in for next weeks pairs we were all hoping for a peg on Sellicks .

I was fortunate enough to draw the first peg on Sellicks being peg 2 although Gab & Nick weren't so lucky both ending up on Lily Pool. My draw was a nice reach to the far bank at 12mts straight in front of me and slightly further off to my left and right. Owner Pete and a few others had done a great job trimming the far bank right back a couple of meters and taking the rushes out meaning you can get right over now on all the pegs which suited me as the pegs slightly further along are 16mts and more. I planned to keep it simple so found 3 different areas across to use all at the same depth at around 2ft or so using a 4x10 Drennan AS1 float on 0.15-0.13 and an 18 wide gape pellet hook.

  A swim to my left close to the near bank where I had 3ft quite tight in under the tree you can see in the pic.
So I set up a 4x12 rig of the same on 0.15-0.15' Sounds mad but if you get snagged up I've always had the hook length break first so you don't wreck the whole rig". I planed to fish meat here over meat and a bit of corn as it makes a good change bait, I did have a swim as tight to the pallet on peg one as I could see where I planned to big pot cups of 4mm pellet and meat, And some groundbait Gab Had mixed up and wasn't going to use so it was worth a try. for company I had a new lad called Mark on peg 4.

At the all in I cupped a palm full of meat and some corn to the tree and a big pot of 4mm and meat to the pallet which I planned to top up every 30mins with another half pot of the same and try it late in the match, I would feed the odd cubes of meat by hand to the tree whilst trying other lines every couple of minutes. Starting across I expected if there were fish present I would get indications straight away so fed a small amount of micro tight over to the point to my left at 13mts and began by feeding a small amount of micro and some dry ground bait via a tosspot and fishing an 4mm expander on the hook straight in front of me to the far bank,
 Look for the float"
 
I wasn't wrong and after 5mins I had a 3lb carp followed by one of the same size the next put in which caused a bit of disturbance so I fed another tosspot full and switched to my further 13mt swim. This can sound a bit negative but I don't want to draw to many fish into the peg at anyone time by loose feeding over the top and usually you catch a few mug early before things slow up a little, Besides you can only catch one at a time so for the next couple of hours although things were slowing up as the shadow came on the water I was up to 14 carp mostly around 2-3lb by regularly switching between both far bank lines.
 On the edge of the rat hole"
 And In It!
  
I decided to feed both far swims with a larger amount of bait after 30mins without a bite and switch to the 3rd far line I had been cupping in the odd small amount of meat. Fully expecting it to fly under with a 6mm cube on the hook had me sadly mistaken and 5mins without a sign I went back to my to my pellet lines but the wind was making it hard to present the rig and although it was nice to present it over the pole was being whipped around by the wind coming through the gap from peg 23 so I was gripping the pole for dear life trying to hold it still and I foul hooked a few fish causing a big disturbance each time so left it to settle and decided to try down the inside tree.
After a while I missed a bite with meat on the hook first put-in followed be a foul hooked fish which snapped my hooklengh" (Told You So)!..
With a new one attached I thought they were there in numbers but 20 fishless mins later I decided to feed a larger amount via a cup and leave it again, I did try down by the pallet without success which was strange as the wind was blowing directly into the swim all day.
I spent the rest of the match switching between the two far bank pellet lines with hard and soft pellet on the hook where I added a few more of similar size and the swim by the tree with meat on the hook as (I did try corn but didn't have a sniff on it) which didn't produce until late and the last twenty mins saw me have two fish over 6lb one of which was on the whistle.
I thought I about 60lb and ended the day with 20 odd fish, I could see Bill Hopping down on peg ten had a few but hadn't a clue how the far bank had fished but word was the Lily pool hadn't fished to well.
When I had caught up with the scales Venue Regular Steve Kedge had taken the lead off peg 14 with a good 86lb odd catching mainly on the meat to the far bank and some fish closer in near the lily's, Bill Hopping on peg 11 put 63lb odd on the scales catching down the edge on his favoured paste, I new it would be close between myself and Bill and was pleased to end the day with 70lb to take 2nd place picking up £55 for my efforts.
 Winner Steve Kedge.
 Part Of My Catch.
 Silvers wise the Wickhams cleaned up taking the top 3 places with Nigel coming out on top with 19lb odd, Gab did well winning Lily pool with 47lb odd just getting in the frame by default.  High light of the day had to be at the start of the match when a large cluster of big branches blew into the lake but was resting on the far bank between me and the lad next door, Owner Pete wasn't happy so decided to try and retrieve it whilst we were tackling up, After hooking the tree on island" on his first attempt, followed by two large splashes either side of the target from what a can only describe as an anchor attached to a rope! He thankfully decided to leave it till the end of the match". Looking forward to the pairs next weekend, just another day in the classroom to cope with on Saturday after a weeks work' Come on Lotto'.. 
 
Full Results -
1st Steve kedge (Somerset Angling) peg 14, 86lb 9oz.
2nd Dom Sullivan (Maver/Cadbury Angling) peg 2, 70lb 3oz.
3rd Bill Hopping (Summerhayes) peg 11, 63lb 8oz.
4th Glynn Wickham (Summerhayes) Peg 15) 57lb.
Silvers -
1st Nigel Wickham (Summerhayes) peg 8, 19lb 7oz. 
2nd Glynn Wickham (Summerhayes) peg 15, 16lb 12oz.
 
  
 
      

 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment