Sunday 10 August 2014

Jeff Wye Memorial Match, Sedges fishery.

off to the sedge's fishery today which is a venue I haven't been to for a number of years so was looking forward to the change, Darren (Big Bird) Greenwood picked my up this morning and after trying to match him with the monster breakfast (eyes bigger than belly') We made are way to the fishery for a wander around.

This was to be a silvers only match as it was much the preferred style of fishing by Jeff, Spread over Brick and Tile lakes although there was a payout for the top  angler off each lake who caught the most carp number wise, With 39 fishing as one angler was taken ill I was hoping for a draw on brick lake with the wind off my back as it was forcast to get stronger as the day progressed, It wasn't to be and I ended up on tile lake which I had never fished before on peg 31 which also happened to be a corner peg so I didn't think it was ideal for a silvers swim as it looked rather carpy" Depth wise it was around 10ft at 13mts so I had a 0.8g rig on 0.13-0.10 and a size 18 434 hook.
A few people advised me to forget the silvers though this was what the match was all about so I would at least give it a go and change tack later in the match if need be. I also plumed up at 7mts to my left slightly which was only a few inches shallower so I planned to fish 4mm expanders on the hook over wetted micro here and worm or maggot over fishmeal groundbait on the longer 13mt line, I did get a rig out to fish down my inside edge which was around 3ft deep which was just for carp if I was struggling silvers wise.

At the start I cupped in 3 large cups of loose wetted groundbait onto the long line containing some dead red maggot and finely chopped worms and cupped two small balls of micro and some expanders onto the short line. Starting here I didn't have a bite on anything for the first 45mins so switched to double dead red maggot onto the 13mt swim, A small skimmer followed by a 3lb carp the next put-in wasn't what I expected but in the next 30mins I had a 3lb & 2lb skimmer on the same line on small pieces of worm so stuck at it hoping to add some more but it didn't happen and the carp had muscled in  taking 6 after the 2hr mark. Already I was beginning to think it would of been wise to ignore the silvers after all and aim to catch as many carp as possible, The next hour was pretty fruitless with one more small carp and despite trying my short inside line with pellet I didn't have a bite.

With two hours to go and no more silvers to show for my efforts I chose to make a new rig to fish further along the inside bank at 14mts in 4ft of water where I felt I had the best chance of catching some more carp.
I was limited bait wise to target them so cupped in a palmful of 6mm and 4mm pellet and left it to settle for 15mins, First try with an expander so a small roach attached so I changed to two whole worms on the hook as a big target bait" It did work and although I had to wait a wile I had carp right up to the whistle by topping up after each fish with a few more pellets. I new if I had targeted them from start to finish I would have more but I felt I had to at least try for the silvers as every 5 pegs was worth £50. It turned out I had just under 7lb of silvers and ended the day with a total of 17 carp which turned out to be my down fall as the most caught on are lake was 21 by Eric Foracre on the opposite bank mainly on the method feeder which also was worth £50" One thing that didn't amaze me was the fact I managed to draw a good carp peg on a silvers match and the chances are if I go here again I'd never be lucky enough to draw it! I did enjoy the day though and it was nice to see a great turnout in Jeff's Memory. Ron Stark won are 5 peg section with 12lb of silvers and Tony Goodland won are lake on the opposite side with 25lb of small fish on the whip, The overall winner was fishery owner Jamie from Brick lake with 40ld odd of big skimmers on the pole and worm. Well no matches for the next two Saturdays as I have to spend two days in a classroom for work commitments so will be keen to get on the bank next Sunday where ever that may be".  

            

No comments:

Post a Comment