Sunday 24 January 2016

Clevedon A.A League (Acorn Fishery) Saturday.

I had a chance to fill in for Andy Hembrow for the 5th round held on the match lake of Acorn Fishery in Kingston Seymour, With Louis Jones being local to me & Involved in the league I offered to pick him up before having a great breakfast roll on route before arriving at the fishery. It turned out the lake was still frozen over on Thursday so we anticipated the fishing was going to be hard? On the way I was discussing the fact my draw hand isn't great" & Louis suggested I let somebody else do it for me so with this in mind we got on to where we wouldn't want to be' We both agreed the pegs 36-38 as it has poor form of late with peg 40 next to the bridge being always favourite for a few fish before making are way to the draw. Nick Harvey was Near the front of the Queue & drew peg 1 on the island so I asked him to draw me a peg, What does he draw me' Yep you guessed it 36! & It just so happened Brian (Anteater) Slipper Had it on the last match when it was nice & mild & managed 1 carp!",
 Louis On peg 38, Pleasure fishing' Lol.
 
Wow I was full of enthusiasm" Louis wasn't best pleased with his draw on 38, Until that was nobody drew peg 40!" Jammy Git' Lol, To make matters worse I had Nick directly in front of me on the island who was doing his best to wind me up about the what he had drawn me' But I did warn him revenge was sweet'
 
I was going to keep things as simple as possible today so first up I had a rig to fish off the point of the island on my left at 14mts in 5ft of water as I couldn't get onto the shelf here, being a 4x12 chanti on 0.11-0.10 & an 18 808 hook, I set up a 0.3g AS1 to fish along the inside bank for dobbing bread on the same line with an 16 808 hook & finally a 4x10 chanti to fish along the far bank in-front of me on 0.12-0.11 & again an 18 808 hook.
I started the match in the deep water at 14mts off the point with dead red maggot on the hook feeding small amounts of micros via a cad-pot. I missed a bite after a couple of minutes then had a carp of 3lb in the eye' but at east I got it in". I had a 1lb plus F1 10mins later but then got pestered by small perch so switched to fishing bread on the hook, I lost two more foul hookers so tried fishing at half depth but that failed to produce. After an hour or so I tried along the far bank which again failed to produce a bite so it was time to try along the inside edge starting at 13mts. After 30mins of searching around I couldn't get a sign of fish even when I went further along the bank. Back to the deeper swim I had another smaller carp on maggot before getting bitted out by small perch again so switched to a 4mm expander on the hook which produced another F1 straight off then nothing. I was already watching Louie catch regular by fishing half depth close to the far bank on bread but I couldn't do the same from the angle I was at & in-front of me seemed void of fish along with my inside bank'. Most of the match was spent on the deep 14mt line switching baits & taking the odd smaller carp or F1, I had £1 side bet with Nick so that Keep me focused & every time I hooked a fish I did my best not to let him here whilst telling him he was always beating me'. back to the revenge & after an hour or so of the match gone I had to remind him for ribbing me for the peg so put the full length of my pole together to 17mts+ and filled my large cup half full of maggots' While he had his back to me concentrating I shipped it out lifting it over what I thought would be inline with his head before emptying the contents" I missed judge the distance slightly but still managed to add nearly half a pint of old maggots into his net bag!" that will teach you". He can take a joke so did see the funny side'. My match never really got going with just odd fish, I added a few more later in the match by fishing at 16mts but in the last hour I couldn't see the float with the bad light & shadow on the water which didn't help. I followed the scales around for the weigh-in & best weight on the day went to Mark Walsh with 76lb odd from peg 19 catching mainly down the track on corn. Louis had a good day finishing 2nd with 73lb odd ahead of Shaun Partridge with 70lb so just a fish or two in it come the end, Nick had a run of late carp on the bread across to the island to weigh 25lb odd but he was right peed off when my total went 30lb odd as I had convinced him he had done me' Don't forget Nick you still owe me the £1".
It fished a lot better than we had expected & although I struggled to put a run of fish together to compete I was quite pleased to catch what I did from the peg in the end. off to Summerhayes tomorrow for a change as I haven't had chance to visit for a while but after seeing how well this fished after the cold snap its given me a few ideas as I'm sure their will be a few fish to be caught?
 
               
   

           

No comments:

Post a Comment