Saturday 5 November 2016

Midweek Stint (Acorn , Summerhayes & Viaduct Fishery's)

At the beginning of the week I had only been at work a couple of hours when stepping out the truck I ended up on my ass after stepping straight into a whole twisting my ankle in the process" I slugged it out until the pain was to much before taking a trip to the hospital to find out I had torn the ligaments in the bottom of my foot, Not good for driving a truck so it meant I had to have a few days off, Not one for watching Jeremy Kyle' I had my ankle strapped up enough to take a trip to the Tuesday Costcutter on Acorn fishery, A turn out of Fourteen today Including Gabo Both hoping for a good draw, I ended up on what I call Cyanide Straight in the middle on peg 17, & Gabo drew 36 on the opposite side. This area was in on the over 50's Sunday match & didn't produce much & today wasn't much different, I had a decemt early carp in the deeper water across on soft pellet then couldn't get a bite on it, I switched to fishing in the shallow water across & took three more on maggot before the cold breeze started blowing into the far bank which killed it totally, I managed one more across for the rest of the day & had banked on catching a few from down the inside edges on corn or soft pellet & had just the one bite all day resulting in a 4lb grass carp" I stuck at it for most of the day but called time with about 45mins to go, As normal some late fish started to show & John Baker next to me on peg 19 took a few late fish on the maggot down the track & in the deeper water across but not enough to make the frame as Andy Gard on peg 12 who had calm water all day which appeared what the fish wanted caught well across catching on pinkee to win the day with just over 100lb, I think I would of been better off fishing maggot down the edges rather than corn or soft pellet but that's the way it goes but it didn't appear we were in the right area today as apart from Andy we all struggled. Gabo had a worse day than me though & had had enough after a fishless two hours & was soon off home.

Still In a bit of discomfort On Wednesday morning but still made the short trip to Fish Summerhayes Rover Match on all the lakes As did Gabo again, Disappointing to only see fourteen fishing again to day but we could only blame areselfs if we had a bad days fishing today as being a rover format you would choose your own swim/lake depending on the position you draw, I pulled out todays bonus peg which would go to choice three then promptly drew out ping pong ball number one giving me first choice of where to go? Having never fished the lake before I fancied a day on Willow pool as I know it holds a good head of fish & would be on my own as the others all opted to fish the other lakes,
I chose peg 2 & had a lovely days fishing & even went to fetch another net at the halfway point confident of catching enough in the last few hours to be over the single net limit. I had worked out early tiny roach & rudd were a problem if I out maggot on the hook so spent most of the day fishing along the island I had infront of me at 13mts with expanders over Micro's & hard 4mms via a toss-pot, It seemed to be a case of catching a few then having to start a new line to catch a couple more & repeat the process,
before finishing the day taking a few fish on corn down to the empty pallet on my right
 finishing the day with 106lb odd of fish in mainly the 2-3lb range finishing 2nd on the day picking up £31 to pay for the day behind Gabo who fished his favourite rover peg" Peg 3 on lily Pool to end up with a better stamp of carp for 136lb mainly from his margins on maggot so a much better day for both off us".
 Gabo.

Feeling a bit better on Thursday I planned to return to work on Friday not before having the day on Thursdays Cost-cutter on Viaducts Cambell & Cary lakes, A much better turn-out with 35 of us fishing but as I've said before its more of a chance to qualify for next years finals than winning much money other than paying for your day. I found myself on Cary lake again today peg 100, peg 99 has been the hot peg of late for some big skimmers but fancied I could catch a few rather than trying for carp which weren't showing themselves in the flat calm conditions, I wanted to try the waggler & corn today now that the pellet ban is in place & really fancied a few fish on it? I gave it nearly an hour & despite having the waggler doted down to a dimple I never had a sniff on any bait' Luckily I had decided to feed a couple of long pole lines at 14mts & spend most of the day picking up the odd 1lb plus skimmer among smaller samples off each line mainly on red maggot or caster, At one point I thought I had hooked the bottom & shipped the pole back to my top 4 only for it to start moving" At first I thought it was a carp but once I got it down to my top kit & had a Zig Zagging effect on my elastic I knew what it was, A rather large EEL" I called Roy Worth who was fishing behind me to come & witness how big it was fully expecting to be bit off" I twice managed to get it on the surface but after two attempts to steer it backwards into the net it had other thoughts smashing its head on the pan & snapping my hooklenght! The size of it? well we both agreed it had to be pushing the 5lb mark if not more, Shame I didn't get it in as it would of been interesting to see how much it would of weighed, I've had some dog eels on the Huntspill over the years But this dwaft them Lol, It wasn't a hectic day but did get a bit better in the last hour when I managed a 2lb fish & a 1lb fish on the whistle which proved worth while as I managed to win the silvers on the day by a mere 1oz" picking up £ 20 so another day paid for. The lakes had fished much harder now the pellet ban is in coupled by the colder weather & Terry Lenay won the day off Cambell lake with only 56lb odd.
 
Back down here on Saturday as the weather doesn't look to bad before Sundays trip to Shiplate farm.                  

        

No comments:

Post a Comment