Tuesday 21 March 2017

Acorn Fishery (Tuesday Costcutter) Paddock Lake.

With more problems with my truck I had the chance to take the day off work & didn't want to waste it so after stopping off for a bacon sarnie on route & stopping over the river Kenn in Clevedon reminiscing of the days it all started as a junior & no such thing as commercials back then, I arrived in plenty of time & soon after their seemed to be a steady influx of anglers arriving from far & wide as even a few of the welsh lads had made the trip over', Only £12 pools today including peg fee so not massive amounts to win but It turned out their were 20 of us fishing so a good turnout for a week match, I haven't been here since Christmas so didn't really know how it had been fishing, I was having a chat with team mate & Fellow blogger Tony Rixon before the start & we both thought around 40-50lb would be a good weight?  It was a bit chilly this morning & their was a fair wind blowing & the forecast was for the chance of showers but hopefully they would be wrong' Into the draw & I pulled out peg 9, Quite happy with this as I've draw this before some time ago now but had a good day although it was a lot milder, I would be in the force of the wind to start with but with it only being 12mts to the island it shouldn't be to much of a problem.
 
Nothing complicated today, A 0.1g rig to fish tight to the bare bank in around 18inches of water on 0.15-0.13 & an 18 F1 Pellet hook,
A 0.2g rig on the same line & hook to fish a couple of feet off the island in the deeper water around 3ft or so & finally a 4x12 Chanti to fish down towards the empty pallet on my left about a metre back towards me & the same distance off the bank in the deeper water which levelled out around 4ft deep,
I would use this rig to fish at 8mts to my left as well in the same depth of water. I started the day potting a few hard 4mm pellet down towards the pallet & some corn at 8mt to my right, Fed a small amount of 4mms tight to the mud line across at 12mts & began the day fishing down the peg tight to the bank at 14mts with banded 6mm pellet feeding some 4mms with the catty, I did expect some early signs of fish or even liners but after 20mins of trying this appeared not the way to go' I went in on the 12mt line with expander on the hook but after another 15mins I was still biteless, I had already seen the odd carp caught which was encouraging but just want some to show for me" With the first hour soon underway it appeared the fish didn't seen to keen to be in the shallower water across, I did try fishing the deeper rig off the shelf but still nothing, Andy Gard next to me on peg 11 did have one carp in the first 30mins but that was in the tail" & had switched to try catching some silvers.
Earlier than I planned it was time to try the inside lines, I didn't get an indication on the 8mt corn line but thankfully managed a fish off the line inside line to the pallet on expander which turned out to be a 1lb cruican' but at least I had caught something"
Nothing followed so back on the lines to the island after topping up this line, Still no signs of fish where I had been pinging' pellets but finally I managed a fish of the mud line infront of me which was a decent fish over 4lb, Nothing followed so topped it up with a few micros as well as some 4mms this time to try & get some fish to stop & route around for a bit, Back down the edge I had a decent 5lb fish again on expander but as soon as the breeze stopped the fish just didn't appear to be their? It was a real struggle for most of the match, I started a new line at 14mts back along the bank towards point peg 5 where I found a flat spot just over 3ft deep in the edge of the shadow you can see in the pic,
 
 
I feed just a small amount of 4mms & a pinch of micros & missed a bite as soon as I went over it but that was it", I managed a rare F1 down towards the pallet along with another carp & took one more off the mud line but was really struggling like a few others with just over an hour remaining.
I just had a feeling a few fish were going to show as the breeze had picked up & was blowing through the peg, Back down to the pallet & I had another carp which caused a bit of disturbance so fed another handful of 4mms & went back to the mud line across again with expander on the hook, I glad I did as I had two carp in two puts-ins for nearly 12lb' with the water being shallow I re-fed another small cup of micros & 4mms.
 I had a quick look with the shallower rig over the line I had been pinging but still no signs here, Back to the mud line & another two quick fish" This swim was now telling me when best to feed, If I didn't get an indication of fish in the peg after a couple of minutes I soon fed another small amount & went straight back over it, The bites were positive fly under's with every fish in the top lip, Perfect' Its a shame time was running out as it was a really enjoyable last 45mins or so, I did prick one off right on the whistle but all the fish I had across were 4lb upwards so a good late run, A few other had appeared to catch a few late fish but I didn't really have much idea what had been caught although the chap on peg 5 opposite me on the point had netted a few later in the day, The heaven's managed to give us a soaking about 20mins from the end but at least it had cleared by time it came to the weigh-in, I went round to give Tony a hand stating with him on peg 1, He had a cracking start to the day with the silvers & finished the match with 23lb of roach which we new already would easily be enough to win that pool so fair play to him, Check his photo out on his blog with his net of them along with a few carp for 34lb odd, Glen Bailey next to him on peg 3 had 44lb before peg 5 had 38lb, Around to are bank & Eddy Wynne on peg 7 had 51lb before my late run of fish pushed my weight up to 69lb, We had to wait for the other set of scales to arrive back to finally see the full results, Back at the hut it turned out I had enough to win the day ahead of Mike Owens 54lb so a good result in the end picking up £44 along the way, Not bad for a cost-cutter.' Turned out to be a good days fishing, I didn't give up hope of one line showing some late fish & so it proved, I think I may of had few more down the edge towards the pallet but don't think it was worth trying again when I was catching across in the late stages, It proved the carp did like a bit of micros added to the 4mms today, I kept the amount down though as they can become pre-occupied with it which causes a lot of foul hookers. Tony did indeed win the silvers so at least he had a few penny back.
 
Part of my catch.

 
    
 
 
Full results -
 
1st Dom Sullivan (Mosella) Peg 9, 69lb 12oz.
2nd Mike Owens (Sensas 88) peg 15, 54lb 9oz.
3rd Eddy Wynne (Over 50's) peg 7, 51lb 14oz.
4th Mike Wilson (Wales) peg 13, 47lb 15oz.
5th Glen Bailey (Bathampton) peg 3, 44lb 1oz.
6th Mike Chapman (Acorn) peg 21, 40lb 14oz.
Silvers -
1st Tony Rixon (Mosella) peg 1, 23lb 9oz.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment