Monday 27 March 2017

Summerhayes Fishery Weds Open Longs Lake.

Had a few problems getting a signal on laptop for the last few days so have a bit of catching up to do as far blogs go as its been a very hectic few day fishing" I took the trip to Summerhayes nr Bridgwater for their normal Weds Open but a bit disappointing as their were only seven of us booked-in, The match was run in a rover format due to number of us fishing, I picked out ping pong ball No.4 so fourth in-line to chose my swim with the only rule being you had to have an empty peg between each angler. A couple of the locals were before me & chose their normal haunts & I surprized a few when I opted for peg 10, Around 14mts to the far bank mud line as I avoided the swims with the far bank cover as I seen to have a thing about fishing pegs to the mud"!?
 This would be my obvious target area for the day so set a three rigs, One to fish tight to the bank on the deck which was still around 3ft deep, A rig to fish half depth & shallower over the same line & finally a rig to fish a couple of feet off the bank in the slightly deeper water which would double up to fish down to the pallet to my right,
Not going to go into details of rigs ect as plenty to try & catch up on'.

I began the day tight to the mud bank whilst feeding a few 4mm's with a cad pot with 4mm expander on the hook whilst feeding a few hard 4mm via a cad pot & started to feed a few hard 4mms with the catty slightly further along the bank. I had a good start with three carp for around 8lb in twenty minutes before it started to rain a bit harder & it seemed to push the fish out from the bank, I switched to fishing off the island which saw me catch a couple more but bites were hard to come by,
 30minutes later & the sun came out, I had continued to ping pellets at around 16mts along the bank so went over with my shallow rig at half depth, This soon got me a few more fish going into the second hour with a couple to 4lb before it came over black & we had a proper down poor". That put pay to the shallow fishing & for the next hour could only catch odd fish on the deck on the long lines, I had fed a small amount of micro on the 14mt line but this drew the attention of the lakes smaller skimmer but I did end up with a few over 1lb, After the rain I had a good run of fish at 16mts this time on the deck, I gave the inside line a few try's threw the day but waited to long for indications & the last couple of hours seemed to produce more across. I soon worked out after the downpour the fish seemed happier to sit nearer the deck, I got into a routine of catching a few by cad-potting a few 4mms over the top each put-in & when bites got iffy I fed a few over top with the catty & switched lines.

By the end of the match I estimated around 60lb of carp & close too 10lb of silvers? When the scales arrived I wasn't far off when I finished with 61lb odd of carp & 9lb 11oz of silvers for a total of 71lb 8oz for an enjoyable days cheap' fishing, Back at the results & I had enough to win this knock-up so to speak but never the less their was always something to fish for & I walked away with £48. Steve Kedge finished 2nd with 48lb ahead of Paul West? with 41lb.

Full results -

1st Dom Sullivan (Mosella UK) peg 10, 71lb 8oz.

2nd Steve Kedge (Somerset Angling) peg 35, 48lb 3oz.

3rd Paul West (Summerhayes) peg 2, 41lb 6oz.

4th Bill Hopping (Summerhayes) peg 24, 37lb 9oz.          

No comments:

Post a Comment