Monday 27 March 2017

Shiplate Farm Fishery, Thursday Costcutter, (Main Lake).

We were greeted with a very chilly wind from the north east this morning which gave me a feeling things would be a bit harder today? Things didn't quite go to plan as when un-packing the van I realised I had forgot my bib'n'brace' I did ask owner Steve if I could borrow the one he had hanging on the shed wall but soon changed my mind when John Hawkins went to hand it me covered I cob webs & some bloody big spiders! So good job I live near-by as soon went to fetch mine". back within plenty of time for the draw I wasn't keen to draw the far side today as it would be cold" even though rated as a good area. A good turn-out for a full house of 15 as Steve had limited the numbers, I decided to let Steve's better half Carol draw again for me today as last time she handed me peg 1' Flyer" & on my next trip My lovely Wife drew it for me in the silvers only match'. She was soon in to draw for me & how iconic' Peg 1' Result" out the wind & on a good peg! Thanks Sweety"

Their are a lot of options on this peg to say the least" Two insides, & island Chuck & plenty of open water', I tried not to complicate things so opted for a bomb to fish down the edge & across to the island,
A waggler to fish over the same areas & in the open water & finally a pole rig to fish over the edge of the bank in 3ft of water down my inside which cuts back into the channel fish like to haunt but cant get too'
I did set up a shallow pole rig  to try at 14mts As Last weeks match was won like this but even though I wasn't in the wind I didn't really expect it to work? I started the day feeding some hard 6mms & corn down the edge off the point, I would chose meat but haven't been able to make it work to well on here, Yet" Lol. I thought corn would be the best option to pin some fish to the deck in the depth of water so thought dump potting bait in would work best? I started the day on banded 6mm pellet on the waggler in the open water towards the pegs opposite feeding a few of the same over the top, I missed a bite after 20mins so kept at it & took a 9lb fish just after 30mins, I had seen a the odd carp caught on the far bank but not much was happening, I gave it another 30mins but only had a couple of small skimmers, I had been pinging just the odd pellet down the edge further into the lake of decided to give it a try, I used the wagg & bomb with 8mm pellet but nothing.

We were over an hour into the match, I had been feeding a few 8mm's off the point of the island & gave that a try, Still nothing. It was time to try down the edge, Starting with corn on the hook I was just about to give up when the float shot under but somehow I missed it" I thought it might be a liner so decided to attach a cad-pot & try again feeding a few hard 6mm & a couple of grains of corn over the top, This worked as I soon added another fish pushing 10lb" With no more signs I fed a larger amount & tried the wagg again. I had a couple more skimmers to 1lb but no more carp, I had a look on the shallow pole rig but not a touch on this, The bomb to the island gave me a 2lb chub on 8mm pellet" & finally a carp but only around 3lb, I finally managed a fish on the bomb down the edge further across into the bowl but it was a one off as I wasn't even getting liners, Going into the last hour it didn't appear that much had been caught, Ash over on end peg 15 had caught early on the method but with the sun in my direction I couldn't really see much going on, I put my faith in catching down the edge in the last 60mins, I managed three more decent fish one over 13lb, one more on corn & two on 6mm expander pellet but it was hard going really but I had expected it to be. I was last to weigh today & when the scales arrived 39lb was leading the way, I new my late fish would make the difference & it proved that way with my carp going 52lb added to 5lb of silvers for 57lb odd, A good draw but a real thinking days fishing really giving myself a few options but putting my faith in a couple come the end of the day, I had positioned my box in the centre of the peg today to keep any disturbance to a minimum down off the point but in the end I had to stand-up & fish over the top of the point to catch. Another result for me to pick up my 3rd win in three days' Not much of a pick-up with only a few quid going into the pools but thankful of the £20 back.

Full Results -

1st Dom Sullivan (Mosella UK) peg 1, 57lb 12oz.

2nd Ash Saunders (Shiplate Farm) peg 15, 39lb 6oz.

3rd Ray Cooper (Frys) peg 11, 38lb 14oz.

4th Titch Williams (Drennan Thyers) peg 13a, 32lb 5oz.

Silvers -

1st John Page (Drennan Thyers) peg 5, 16lb 4oz.


No comments:

Post a Comment